Sidewalk Chalk Jumping Game
By Jen Kossowan, Mama.Papa.Bubba
May 21, 2015
Are you ready for the world’s easiest outdoor activity? This simple game incorporates learning and lots of movement and it's my little one's favourite thing to do outside!
Our sidewalk chalk jumping game provides wonderful opportunities to review shapes, numbers, letters and colours, plus it keeps kids active and moving around.
And here's the best part: all that's required is sidewalk chalk and a sidewalk or cement pad to play on! The whole activity really couldn’t be any simpler.
You Will Need:
- sidewalk chalk
- sidewalk or cement pad
1. Select a playing area and fill it with sidewalk chalk numbers, letters, colour dots or shapes.
2. Invite your little one to select a shape to start on.
3. Have your child jump from shape to shape as you call out the names of the shapes.
You'll Also Love: 3-In-1 Counting Busy Bag Activity
To keep the hopping part fun and interesting, I often select shapes that are challenging to find or jump to, given my little one’s current position.
Describing the shape rather than naming it also makes for a fun twist—for example, “Jump to the shape with 3 straight sides and 3 points.”
When we play with numbers, letters and colours, completing the jumps in a particular order keeps things fresh and fun. For example:
- With numbers, we may try jumping from 1 to 20 (or from 20 to 1). Sometimes, we even practice addition facts! “2 + 3 = 5” and other similar addition questions are perfect for jumping along to.
- With letters, we may try jumping to each letter in alphabetical order, or jumping on letters in order to spell simple or familiar words.
- With colour dots, we sometimes try to jump in rainbow order, or from one colour to another as we sing our favourite colour song.
When playing, your little one will be having so much fun that he or she won’t even notice all of the important learning that's going on. That's a total win in my books!