Gift Idea: Paint-A-Shirt For Father’s Day
BY SELENA MILLS, THEY ROAR
Jun 2, 2017
Fellow crafty mamas-of-the-internets: I bring you a simple, thrifty DIY project for the fabulous father of your children whom you may want to make smile come Father’s Day. Perhaps what’s even more pleasing is how overjoyed your kids will be in making their dad a special surprise — something they know he will love and wear with pride. The real challenge lies in getting them to keep quiet about it!
Follow the instructions below to make your own before you think twice about scrambling to buy something from a big box store.
You Will Need:
- t-shirt (We chose Gildan 100% cotton ones from our local craft store since the tight weave is best for painting. You can also get them at the dollar stores!)
- fabric paints (Paint pens optional. We chose three colours — you don’t need to spend a lot — and avoid those puffy paints as they might look fun, but they wear down after many washes.)
- plastic letter/number stencils (You can get these at your local craft or dollar store!)
- paintbrushes, paint tray or washable plastic plate, cup with water, damp cloth and paper towels
- Talk with your kids about what they want to paint on the shirt.
- Pre-wash the shirt and lay out on a plastic paint sheet or papers to protect your table.
- Squeeze colours into separate little blobs onto your paint tray (a little goes a long way!).
- Help your kid(s) practice using the paintbrush and paying attention to fine details.
- Assist in holding the templates in place and wiping the stencil and patting dry after each use since many letters and numbers will be on the same sheet (mistakes might happen — and that’s OK!).
- Hang to dry for at least 24 hours and then lay a towel over top and iron: this sets the fabric paint.
- Wait five days before first wash and make sure to wash it inside out.
That’s it! You can also use bleach pens and forgo stencil and paints altogether, although bleach pens for arts and crafts generally freak me out, as does glitter.
You'll Also Love: Father's Day Gift Idea — Easy Homemade Beef Jerky Kids Can Help Make
Happy Father’s Day!
Add New Comment
A Pox On Loot Bags: I’m Done with Party Favours
Tech & Media
17 Beautiful Indigenous Comic Books and Video Games For Kids
Why I’m Talking To My Eight-Year-Old Son About Smoking Pot
Tech & Media
Your Kids May Actually Think You Love Your Phone More Than Them
How To Start A Family Meal Plan