Nature Christmas Craft: Adorable Toadstool Ornaments
By Maureen Macmillan, Twig and Toadstool
Dec 10, 2013
Hello beautiful parents and children!! Let me start by introducing myself: my name is Maureen, and I am one half of the blog Twig and Toadstool. (You can read all about me and my site in my bio at the bottom of the post.) We actually DO like toadstools at Twig and Toadstool, so for my first post here at CBC, I created a little holiday homage to the toadstool: toadstool ornaments!
These are easy-peasy and pretty ornaments that will add a touch of enchantment to your holiday tree! You could also use them as sweet little gift toppers. What you'll need
- acorn caps, (preferably with a bit of stem)
- red paint
- white paint
- white or silver glitter
- white craft glue (think Elmers)
- glue gun and glue sticks
- red and white bakers twine (or embroidery floss, string, whatever you have on hand)
- After they are dry, take the white bottom part of the acorn and give it a coat of white craft glue.
- Fill a container with glitter and roll the acorn "bottom" around and around in the glitter. Add more glue if necessary to ensure the entire bottom is covered with sparkles! Put these aside and let them dry.
- Now you're ready to paint your "spots" on your toadstool: Using a super small brush, just make little dots.
- After everything is dry, fire up the ol' glue gun (this is a job for the grown-up in the house). As an alternative to a glue gun you could use a really good craft glue--I'm thinking something like Weldbond. You just want to make sure you glue the cap and bottom together very very well.
- Once they're glued together, get out your pretty string--I managed to find some lovely red and white twine in the "baking section" of Michaels. Tie the twine around the "stem" part of your cap--do a double knot so it won't come undone, then tie another knot up top. Snip off the excess string.
And that's it! A lovely toadstool ornament for your tree. I know every year I pull out my childrens' handmade decorations my heart strings enjoy a good ol' tug!! Please come by Twig and Toadstool for more crafting inspiration! Wishing everyone an enchanted and beauty FILLED holiday season!