Count Down 8 Special Nights with a Hanukkah Advent Calendar
BY JORDANA HANDLER
Nov 29, 2017
As Hanukkah approaches I like to get my family excited by making holiday-themed crafts together. We all love a good countdown so we came up with a Hanukkah advent calendar. The calendar is fun, easy to make and a great activity that you can do with your kids. Best of all, it’s customizable and reusable. Win, win!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bristol board (we used blue but the colour is up to you)
- painter’s tape
- paint (we used Crayola washable paint – because, kids are messy!)
- 8 envelopes
- stickers or cut out shapes to decorate
- black sharpie
- 8 surprises to fill your envelopes
- Cut out a shape from the Bristol Board — we chose a dreidel but a Jewish star would be fun. Use your imagination!
- Using the painter’s tape, tape off numbers 1 to 8 on each of the envelopes. Don’t worry about being perfect, they will look great no matter what.
- Now the fun part: Have your kids paint over the tape and the envelope. This is a fun way for them to explore their creativity with brushes, sponges, their fingers or anything else you can think of — we even used a dryer ball to make dots.
- Once the paint is completely dry, slowly peel off the tape and you should have white numbers showing. Use the black sharpie to outline the numbers so they stand out.
- Glue the 8 envelopes onto your board.
- Add any stickers, glitter or decorations — we used gold circles cut out from glitter paper.
- Best part alert: Stuff each envelope with a special surprise to be revealed on each night of Hanukkah!
Here are some fun ideas for the surprises:
- Hanukkah gelt
- coupons for activities to do together as a family
- small books or games
- homemade finger puppets
- a mitzvah (good deed) that you can do together
Add New Comment
I’m Not Ready to Stop Having Kids, But My Husband Is
4 simple rules for stress-free family meals
50 Outdoor Things to Do with Your Kids in Winter
4 Delicious Meals To Make With A Can Of Beans
10 Fun Ways to Play With Tape