CD Turkeys For Thanksgiving
By Jackie Currie, Happy Hooligans
Oct 1, 2015
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, the hooligans and I have been making turkey crafts all week long.
Our latest creation is this adorable CD turkey decoration. It’s a fun and easy craft for preschoolers and a great way to upcycle an old CD or DVD that you’re no longer using.
You can display your CD turkey anywhere, but we’ve hung our turkey in the dining room window because the sunlight looks so pretty streaming through the turkey’s colourful tail feathers.
Let’s gather up a few simple supplies and get started!
You Will Need:
- a CD or DVD
- brown paint
- craft feathers
- googly eyes
- yellow card stock or craft foam (for the beak)
- red tissue paper (for the comb)
- small red water balloon (for the wattle)
- fishing line (for hanging)—we actually used dental floss!
1. Your child can start by painting the CD brown. You’ll want a nice thick layer of paint to to cover up the reflective surface and any labelling on the disk.
*Here’s a tip for drying thick paint quickly: use your hair dryer! We keep one in our craft room just for this purpose. It really speeds up the drying time for a lot of our projects.
You'll Also Love: Leaf Stamp Garland Of Thanks
2. When the brown paint is dry, snip off the end off the water ballon so it will lie flat and glue the balloon just below the hole in the CD.
Now, cut a beak out of your yellow card stock or craft foam and glue it over the hole. You’ll need to leave a teensy bit of space to put your fishing line through when you hang your turkey up.
Glue a couple of googly eyes in place. It’s starting to look like a turkey, now isn't it?
3. For the finishing touch, crumple up a small piece of red tissue paper and glue that to the top of the CD to form the turkey’s comb.
Let your turkey sit for a bit to let the glue dry before adding tail feathers.
4. When the glue has dried somewhat, flip your turkey over and glue your colourful craft feathers all around the top half of the back of the CD.
5. Now, thread a long length of fishing line through the hole in CD and find a window to display your Thanksgiving turkey in.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!
Add New Comment
I’m Not Here to Make Life Magical for my Children
I’m Not Ready to Stop Having Kids, But My Husband Is
Tech & Media
How to Avoid Those Weird, Inappropriate Videos on the YouTube Kids App
Keepsake Craft: Baking Soda Clay Handprint Ornaments
How This Dietitian Mom Gets Her Picky Kids to Eat