Acts of Kindness Advent Calendar
By Jen Kossowan, Mama.Papa.Bubba.
Nov 22, 2016
Oh my goodness… It’s hard to believe that it’s almost December already, isn’t it? Before we know it, it’ll be time for family gatherings, turkey dinners and holiday goodies — yay! We love counting down the days to Christmas each December and this year we’re focusing our advent calendar on something the world always needs more of: KINDNESS.
Below you’ll find a list (as well as our Printable Acts of Kindness PDF) of 48 different acts of kindness that kids can either participate in or do independently. Some of them are geared towards school and daycare, while others are geared towards home, and some of them are as simple as smiling at others, while some — like donating to those in need — are a little more involved. Pick the ones that work best for your family and situation and spread some love and kindness this holiday season!
If you’re printing off the ready-made notes, cut out the ones you know you’ll want to use and store them in a container so that you can just grab a new one each day.
These little notes can be tucked into the boxes or pockets of an advent calendar you already have, or they can be left out one at a time with any supplies you’ll need for that day’s task.
You can also forgo using the printable notes and choose one of the ideas below to write on your family chalkboard or whiteboard each day. Easy peasey and totally up to you! Whichever way you choose to do it, you and your munchkins are bound to spread some joy this holiday season.
48 Acts of Kindness Kids Can Do
- While grocery shopping, pick a few items to donate to the food bank.
- Bake some cookies and deliver them to a friend or neighbour.
- Clean up someone else’s mess — just because.
- Leave a happy note in a library book.
- Leave happy notes around your neighbourhood using sidewalk chalk.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Give someone a lovely compliment.
- Go through your toys and pick some things to donate to someone in need.
- Make a card for someone.
- Bring flowers to your teacher.
- Put coins in someone’s parking metre.
- Read a book to someone.
- Donate some outgrown clothes to a local organization.
- Invite a new friend to play with you.
- Set the table for dinner.
- Surprise someone by leaving money in a vending machine.
- Paint kindness stones and leave them at a park.
- Send a postcard to a friend.
- Greet the people you pass while out for a walk.
- Offer to let your classmate go first.
- Invite a friend over to play.
- Draw a picture and send it to a grandparent.
- Pick up trash on the school playground.
- Call a family member to chat.
- Record a happy video and send it to a family member.
- Bury a small container of treasures at the playground.
- Donate some crayons and activity books to your local children’s hospital.
- Donate some preemie sized clothes to your local NICU.
- Rake a neighbour’s leaves.
- Shovel a neighbour’s snow.
- Buy a small coffee gift card and give it to someone you pass throughout the day.
- Donate supplies to an animal shelter.
- Leave a little treat in the mailbox for your mail carrier.
- Smile at every person you meet for the whole day.
- Sit with someone who is alone at lunch.
- Feed the birds by making a homemade bird feeder.
- Do an extra job around the house without being asked.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line.
- Bring your teacher a coffee or hot cocoa.
- Leave a container of coins by a fountain with a note that says, ‘Make a wish’.
- Give someone a really good hug.
- Tell someone how much you love them.
- Share your snack with someone who doesn’t have one.
- Thank a school worker for doing a great job.
- Help someone who is hurt or sad.
- Put a nice note in a classmate’s cubby.
- Tell someone a joke to make them laugh.
- Ask someone how they’re doing and truly listen to their answer.
Click the image below to open up the printable PDF in a new window.
And for a slightly different take on advent activities, you can see our printable advent calendar activity cards focused on family, fun, and kindness here.
Add New Comment
The Night My Daughter Told Me She Would Look Better With ‘Blonde’ Skin
6 Exercises To Get Your Best Bum
I Was Unhappy After Becoming a Dad and I Should Have Talked About it Sooner
9 Things To Ask Siri That Your Kids Will Find Hilarious
Tech & Media
10 Beautiful Indigenous Children’s Books To Add To Your Library