Snacks & Treats
Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Cashews for Father’s Day
By Jen Kossowan, Mama. Papa. Bubba.
Jun 14, 2016
Two things that the daddy in our family loves? Crunchy snacks and anything spicy!
With that in mind, my little one and I came up with this fabulous sweet and spicy cashew recipe that uses a dad favourite: Sriracha sauce!
Packaged in a cute jar or tin, these candied nuts make a perfect Father’s Day treat.
- 2.5 cups of roasted and unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of your favourite liquid cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli flakes (optional)
You'll Also Love: Draw-Your-Own Family Portrait Mug
I love how easy this recipe is!
1. Measure the Sriracha sauce, honey, oil and soy sauce into a mixing bowl. If your dad loves spicy things, go ahead and add the chilli flakes here too. If your dad loves a milder version of spicy, use half the chilli flakes (or simply leave them out).
Give the mixture a good whisk (remember that this mixture is super spicy! If some gets on little hands, it's best not to let kids lick it off).
2. Gently add the cashews to the Sriracha mixture. Stir everything together well so the nuts are evenly coated.
3. Now it’s time to bake! Pour the cashews, along with any sauce left in the bowl, out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread the nuts out as well as possible.
4. Place the baking pan into a 325°F oven and set a timer for 10 minutes. When the timer rings, check on your cashews and give them a mix before setting the timer for another 10 minutes.
The goal is to get a nice deep colour and a candied texture, but you don’t want them to burn—so do watch them closely for those last few minutes, as they can go from perfect to overdone quite quickly.
5. Once out of the oven, let them cool and crisp up completely before packing them into a couple of cute glass jars.
As a finishing touch, have your little one create simple paper tags and tie them around the jars to personalize them.
Et voila! You’ve got a fantastic (and yummy!) homemade gift to give to the dad, daddies and other special people in your life!
Add New Comment
What Motherhood Has Taught Me About My Plus-Size Body
Teaching Kids How to Be Resilient
20 Easy Lunch Box Ideas
He Said, She Said: The Truth About Sex After Kids
Why White Parents Need to Talk to Their Kids About Racism