Healthy Vegan Mac & Cheese
Jun 29, 2017
Don't let the title fool you — there's no cheese in this macaroni dish and the kids won't know the difference!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340g, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, cut in half; seeded, roasted and pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- sheet pan
- large saucepan
- food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, cut the butternut squash in half, spoon out and remove the seeds and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
Add New Comment
No One Is The Aunt — Going To Family Camp With My Husband, His Ex-Wife And Our Kids
Snacks & Treats
10 Nutritious and Delicious Frozen Treats for Summer This Dietitian Mom Swears By
Here’s How it Feels to Get Hateful Online Comments About My Parenting
Why My Kids Have Patches on Their Clothes and What That’s Taught Our Family
Tech & Media
Librarians Recommend Their 15 Favourite Nonfiction Books for Kids