Snacks & Treats
Christmas Crackle Recipe
By Julie Van Rosendaal, Dinner With Julie
Dec 14, 2015
This amalgamation of crackers, caramel and chocolate is perfectly addictive with its sweet-saltiness and crunch.
Young kids can line up the crackers in rows, adults can handle the caramel, then kids can spread the melted chocolate and bash it up into pieces once the candy has cooled.
You Will Need:
- 1 1/2 sleeves salted saltine crackers
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (approximately—I usually just scatter handfuls)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, foil or a silicone mat to make clean-up easier (and to make it easier to get the crackle out).
Line with saltine crackers, placing them right together. I wind up with six rows of eight crackers.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil over medium-high heat.
Let it bubble for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and pour it evenly over the crackers. Spread it with a knife to fill any gaps.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until it's deep golden. Keep an eye on it for the last few minutes to make sure it doesn't burn.
4. Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then scatter chocolate chips over top, while the caramel is still very warm.
Let sit for a few minutes, then spread chocolate chips evenly with a knife.
5. Cool completely on the countertop or in the fridge, then bash into pieces.
Add New Comment
I’m Not Here to Make Life Magical for my Children
I’m Not Ready to Stop Having Kids, But My Husband Is
Tech & Media
How to Avoid Those Weird, Inappropriate Videos on the YouTube Kids App
Keepsake Craft: Baking Soda Clay Handprint Ornaments
How This Dietitian Mom Gets Her Picky Kids to Eat