World in One City - Japan
2 pieces chicken thigh
1 tbsp sake
1/6 Kabocha squash
2 small taros
3 cm white radish
1 small carrot
3 skiitake mushroom
2 leaves Nappa
2 green onions
7 cups water
2 tsp dashi powder
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup miso
4 udon noodle
1. Cut chicken thigh into small pieces and season with sake and salt. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Peel skin off Kabocha, small taro, white radish and carrot and slice thinly. Cut shiitake and nappa into 1cm wide pieces. Chop green onion.
3. Put water and dashi powder in a big pot and add Kabocha, small taro, white radish and carrot, bring to boil.
4. Add mirin and soy sauce and bring to a boil again and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add udon noodle and bring to boil again, and add shiitake and nappa. Cook another 5 minutes or until all vegetables get soft.
6. Add miso gradually into the soup while softening with some soup and dissolving on a ladle.
7. Pour soup and noodle into bowl and garnish with green onion.
Enjoy! Emi offers private Japanese cooking courses in her Barrhaven home. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org