Ottawa Votes Blog: Larry O'Brien: The lost tapesTuesday, Oct. 12, 2010
I've had many people ask me why George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight (or the show formerly known as The Hour) canned that interview with Larry O'Brien last week. The segment was taped, but never made it to air.
Here's what I can tell you: When they heard about the interview, CBC executives reminded the show's producers of the corporation's standard policy of treating candidates equitably over the course of a campaign. The policy applies to Strombo's show, as it would to any other CBC production during any other election. We shine the spotlight on all the candidates, or we don't shine it on any of them.
In the end, the decision not to air the interview was the show's. The CBC believes that in the interest of balance and fairness, they made the right choice.
- O'Brien speaks his mind
- O'Brien cuts loose on everything from committee chairs to that November cruise
- Weekend war of words
- The leading candidates to and fro over planning and growth
- Larry O'Brien: The lost tapes
- Here's why Strombo didn't air the O'Brien interview
- Signs of trouble
- Holmwood residents fail to show their support for Doucet
- O'Brien takes another stab
- Larry O'Brien injects more controversy into the campaign