ONTARIO VOTES 2007

Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

Your View

Did a politician or party sway your vote during the campaign?

October 5, 2007 | 11:09 AM

There are only a few days left before Ontarians choose their next government and pollsters and pundits alike have been predicting a close race for Queen's Park.

Party leaders have been working hard to sway voters with an array of promises, primarily centred on improving health care, justice and education.

In addition to the platforms, the leaders have also been working to prove that they are the best choice as Ontario's premier. Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty has staunchly defended his government's record throughout the campaign, while PC Leader John Tory has campaigned on a "Leadership matters" platform and, along with NDP Leader Howard Hampton, has criticized the Liberals for their many so-called broken promises.

All the leaders have hit roadblocks. McGuinty had a sharp run-in with a cancer patient in Ottawa, while Hampton lashed out at reporters for not caring about his message. Meanwhile Tory has been dogged by the faith-based school funding issue, on which he recently softened his stance to include a free vote by his caucus.

Has anything happened during the campaign to sway your vote? If so, what was it? Why did/didn't your vote change?

« What issues have flown under the radar this election? | Main | Join the election discussion »

This entry is now Closed. View the comments.

Comments: (63)

Jane Seeley (London) wrote:

I would have liked to have seen more coverage of the Green Party of Ontario to know more about them and how well DeJong does. Now that the Green Party has managed 8% I hope they won't be excluded from the federal election coverage on CBC.

Posted October 11, 2007 12:13 PM

sean mcgoldrick (oakville) wrote:

Yes I was swayed. Initially I had intended to vote Conservative but in the end did not. When the shocking announcement of the faith based education inititave took place I wrote to the PC candidate in my area to express concern. He wrote back defending the policy with no exception. My key concern was that there were other more important issues at this time.

I then wondered if the PC leader adopted this policy without checking with the rank and file members or doing pre announcement testing elsewhere.

When I saw the Bruce Grey (Murdoch) member comments in the media and Mr Tory's unsatisfactory public rebuff I was convinced that we had a leadership issue and decisions were being made without proper grounding. The media references to the ill fated Campbell campaign and Mr Tory also helped me finalise my voting decision.

Posted October 11, 2007 11:00 AM

John McNeil (Toronto) wrote:

I resent the implication that if I didn't vote in favour of Proportional Representation, then I must not have really understood it. I looked into it and I didn't like it. I think politicians should have to persuade a majority of voters, or enough of them to get elected. I vote green because I want it to be known that I like their policies. I expect the main parties to notice this and adopt some of the Green Party's ideas. But I don't want a legislature cluttered with many little groups.

Posted October 11, 2007 12:04 AM

Mike Cheung (markham_Ontario) wrote:

I have been waiting for 4 years to kick the Liberal out because of the broken promises made by Liberal in the last few years. PC blew off my wish with their very stupid religious school funding policy. PC has lost 5 votes from my family alone. I have so many friends who are also disappointed by Tory's stupid move. Liberal definitely should say thank you to Tory. Without Tory's stupid move, I am sure that many people in Ontario will not forget the broken promises made by the Liberal!!!

Posted October 10, 2007 11:04 PM

Jatinder Sehgal (Brampton) wrote:

I was going to vote Liberals as always, but the comments by Howard Hampton expressing his outrage at lack of discussion of other issues made me vote for his candidate in my riding. I must emphasise that this was the tipping point; I had been considering this for a while.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:49 PM

Ed Tell (Waterloo) wrote:

I'm really tired of negative campaigning. In this election it cost the PC party dearly. For weeks we heard a litany of statements about "McGuinty's broken promises". This evening, most commentators have harped on the faith based issue, but I think they missed a dey point that may loom even larger. John Tory himself backed out of that position in the middle of his campaign. I suspect,voters in Ontario were smart enough to notice. As the cliche goes, "You live by the sword ..."

Posted October 10, 2007 10:48 PM

Lauren Boothby (London) wrote:

Even if John Tory himself got down on his knees and begged me for his vote, I could never sacrifice our health care and education to appease him.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:42 PM

Cindy Campbell (ottawa) wrote:

This was was going to be the first time I voted PC, but after Tory wavered on faith based issue, I had to re-think my decision. (even though I'm against faith based funding)I just felt that Tory's waffling was too similar to McGuinty's empty promises. In the end I voted for the Green Party.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:42 PM

marc (Toronto) wrote:

I decided for the first time in my life to not vote in this election... I felt anxious about it all day, but now that the polls are closed I feel great!!! Democracy in this province and in this country is an illusion. By excluding myself from this illusion I feel a great weight has been lifted... Congrats to McGinty, I am sure all of Ontario will look forward to the last 4 months of his new liberal mandate :)

New found freedom... Shalom

Posted October 10, 2007 10:35 PM

Gavin (trinityspadina_Toronto) wrote:

I was going to vote for Kate Holloway, the Liberal candidate in my riding of Trinity-Spadina in Toronto. When I arrived home from work I found her campaign material on my door posted today. I voted for the NDP instead to punish the Liberals for a dirty campaign in my riding.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:31 PM

Dave (Toronto) wrote:

This is just the beginning of faith based school funding issue. The next round will be fought over the funding of Catholic School boards. With a Liberal majority, it's safe for now. However, there will be a lot of talk about this before the next election and the Green Party poised to ride the popular opinion wave on this issue. It will be interesting to see if another major party joins them in proposing a single public school system.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:16 PM

Kirk Richardson (Niagara_Falls) wrote:

Hey, they forgot to run a conservative candidate. As a true blue conservative (not PC or Progressive Conservative or Conservative) I can't help but feel left out yet again.

I think the PC's would do much better if they brought more conservatives and fewer progressives. We already have 3 left wing parties, is there no one who will speak for conservatives? Will no-one give US something to vote for instead of against?

Posted October 10, 2007 10:13 PM

Celine R. (Mississauga_South) wrote:

Well it seemed to me after listening to debates and policies being thrown out to us the general public, Hampton was the only one that actually made any sense. He was the only one not focused on religion and education. W

ake up folks, it's not the Province, but the entire Country that is public/catholic school tiered and since the Constitution reads we are also billingual, we have French and English schools, imagine that! I voted NDP this time, Hampton seemed to have the best platform and seems to be the only one that may be able to deliver what he speaks!

Posted October 10, 2007 10:13 PM

hugh (windsor) wrote:

how can the lying liberals say i'm better off under there health care system.first they put a health tax on us that did not go to health and than they make me pay for the 2 health care needs that i use the most.eye care and prostate exams.don't men care under this goverment.they cover mamma grams why not prostate exams.i had to pay 50 dollars for mine thats not fair.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:10 PM

John Alexander (Ancaster) wrote:

I use to think Dalton M was the biggest moron to lead a political party. but after John T intro duced his policy to fund all the idiot religous groups educational programmes, he now becomes the biggest moron to lead a political party. With the province saddled with 2 morons -I DID NOT VOTE

Posted October 10, 2007 09:58 PM

Walter Petrovic (KitchenerConestoga) wrote:

The Liberals performed a fair job in their last four years - and I believe need another four to be able to accomplish a good job.

There were some minor touchy issues in this election but none that could really get under anyone's skin. What did get under my skin is the constant mud-slinging that was occurring -- mostly from the PC arena.

The other thing was the panicky back-peddling on issues like the separate school funding and alcohol sales in corner stores. A real leader would stick by their platform - even if that platform only takes up one sentence in their platform book. Don't use minimal issues like it was some excuse when you see it was not popular. Mr Tory -- I wonder how many of his former employees will be actually voting for him.

Mr McGuinty did a little bit of mud-slinging falling into the trap of the new politics. Shame! Stake all on who you are and what you stand for and stop the mud-slinging and you will be honored by the public.

Posted October 10, 2007 09:43 PM

Johanna Lewis (Toronto) wrote:

I am 16 years old, and therefore unable to vote in this election. I am, however, politically active and informed and feel strongly about political issues and parties. I did participate in Student Votes through my high school, and found myself very conflicted.

My school, Marc Garneau CI, is in Don Valley West. Although I am an adament leftist and usually support the NDP, I voted for Kathleen Wynne. This was not necessarily a strategic vote against John Tory, although I'd be thrilled if he were to loose, but a vote for her as I think she'd be a great representative for our riding. I found myself wishing for a MMP style ballot where I could vote for the NDP, whose policy and platform I agree with completely, and Kathleen Wynne, who I think would be a better MPP for Don Valley West.

The riding I live in, Toronto-Danforth, is usually NDP and I am glad for it. It does pose a problem for non-NDP voters in our riding and others in similar situations across Ontario. Their votes truly do not count, and the seats in Parliament are terribly skewed in proportion to the votes cast. I am grateful for the Student Vote program as I think our results are very important for the future. I would be thrilled if, when I can vote in the actual election, I can do so with a fair system, MMP, where I will vote confidently for the equity, social spending, and the NDP.

Posted October 10, 2007 09:40 PM

Jacob Hopkins (HavelockOnt) wrote:

Hello again, yes im only 17 but i would like to have my say. This year after reveiwing the party platforms I had decided that if i could vote i was going to vote green. I like the environment enough to want to try and save it for my descendants.

However, last weekend we had a visitor to our door, a representative of said green party, it started good, he was polite nice, then he asked me how old i was, i replied 17, and when i said that, he went stone cold and wouldnt say another thing exept to say, "is there a person of voting age here?". Tell me, Is this fair, yes im a kid, no i cant vote, but does that mean that the politician is allowed to ignore me? I do not think so, if I were able to vote my vote would have changed to the PC's as in my opinion they are they are the next best party, thank you.

Posted October 10, 2007 09:40 PM

Sophie Fagan (Toronto_Ontario) wrote:

As a student i was going to vote Liberal but then i heard all about the stuff the N.D.P. were doing for public schools and education well the Liberals only were saying what they had done. The P.C. party was doing the faith baist school thing whitch i think is idiotic 'cause it would be separating cultures and around 5,000 dollars from public schools! The Green party almost only said they would do stuff for the enviorment. (What little they did say.)

Posted October 10, 2007 09:35 PM

T. Chung (Pickering) wrote:

I voted Green this time. I know they have no real hope of winning this riding. I am old enough to remember Conservative Ontario under Mike Harris - I will never, ever vote PC. The Liberals need to be kept honest. So consider my vote a protest for promises not kept. By the way, I also voted for MMP.

Posted October 10, 2007 08:05 PM

Reason (Brantford) wrote:

Vote Green! Why? Tory wants you to fund religious dogma, McLiar is a....., NDP... don't even go there.

Posted October 10, 2007 07:01 PM

Ron (Princeton) wrote:

Andrew, it is really sad that you have fallen to the level you are at! Saying that they all "break promises" just because "thats what they do". Look in the dictionary under P for Promise, and read it, maybe even twice, and tell me that this is ok for them to do.

You lecture as if its a normal and excepted thing , try breaking promise after promise to your friends and family, and lets see if they agree that its ok, because thats just what you do. Too many broken promises leads to mistrust, which is what i feel for the Liberals now

Posted October 10, 2007 04:41 PM

Ray B. (Whitby) wrote:

I want to start off by saying that I have read many of the comments regarding the question and the most important thing is to vote!!

We live in a country that has many freedoms and one of these is the right to vote when election day arrives. It only takes a few minutes out of the day. Anyone, who talks about things like there is no great candidate in their area or no party that has similar values, is really someone who I don't want to listen to.

Whether you are Liberal, and I feel sorry for those who are this time around, or Conservative, or NDP or Green or even part of a fringe party, by casting a vote I believe you then have a right to make thought provoking comments.

You can look around the world and find many countries that do not have this right and when people arrive in Canada and you speak to them that is one of the first things they will bring up. So take the time to vote today and hopefully a minority comes about.

Posted October 10, 2007 02:45 PM

Jack Cox (Oakville_Ontario) wrote:

Oh yes, please what's one broken promise compared to how horrific Ontario was a few years ago when Mike Harris and Company ran this place.

John Tory is not a leader, he has proven this time and time again during the campaign and I would rather vote for someone who's competent than someone who can't get their priorities straight.

Posted October 10, 2007 01:35 PM

Lynn H. (Burlington_Ontario) wrote:

Sure,, my vote was swayed by John Tory's offer to fund religious schools and the first place and then flip floping on it.

I want to return to a Conservative government like Mike Harris's where people died from contaminated water because water inspection was privatized with no further followed up, but they saved tax dollars.

How about meat inspectors - they aren't really required to any large extent either - diseased meat - yumm and it saves tax dollars.

Hospital emergency departments having to redirect patients and putting their lives at risk sound like good financial judgement too especially since it saves tax dollars.

Yep, I'll be voting for a return to teacher strikes, downloading, toll roads and the rest.

Posted October 10, 2007 12:40 PM

K West (Toronto) wrote:

My vote has been swayed to refuse my ballot.

None of the parties have addressed what I consider major issues (such as Toronto's budget crisis), and those issues that have been deemed major are frankly petty and juvenile (really... funding of religious schools and street racing are a 'major issues'? Give me a break).

Posted October 10, 2007 11:55 AM

R. Johnson (Aurora) wrote:

In the end I had to go Green.

The Liberals can't be trusted for any number of reasons but, worst of all, when I went to my current MPP Greg Sorbara in an effort to address concerns impacting thousands of people in York Region he actually told me that he was not the elected representative of the people of Aurora and he would not even work with residents or municipal representatives to address the issues at hand... go figure. The guy is as slippery as they come and he has an ego that is nothing less than repulsive !

I like my local conservative candidate in many ways, despite some key policy differences, but the Conservative energy and environment policy forces me to consider alternatives.

The Greens don't stand a chance of winning more than one seat but they deserve my vote based on principle alone. We need more and not less input on environmental issues !

At this stage this election looks like a no-win situation, but I voted Green and "YES" none the less. I think I'll have to drop by the liquor store on the way home tonight. The thought of four more years of this government, including more taxes and more broken promises is hard to take.

Posted October 10, 2007 11:37 AM

Andrew (Former_Ottawa_Ontario_Currnetly_Urbana_Illinois) wrote:

Election time and everyone seems to talk about promises made and promises broken. Politicians make promises because that's what everyone wants to hear. Yet, when things don't go our way we get angry. What amazes me is that everytime an election happens everyone talks about the incumbent like he or she was the first to break an election promise. Guess what? If John Tory is elected he will break many of his promises. If Dalton is elected he will too, just as the others will. Get over it.

How about taking a look around you and accessing your quality of living, economy, and issues that you are most interested in and then decide whom among them is going to most support your morals and values. For me green issues, health care, and economic strength without massive growth (sustainability) head my list. I will vote for the candidate that will support these and balance these issues the best. Not the one who is less likely to break promises- cause guess what? They all will. It upsets me that every federal and provicial election so many talk about borken promises and new promises.

The last four years have been great for me. My quality of living is good and people are talking more and more about green issues. In addition, the economy is strong. I am encouraged by the direction of this province.

Posted October 10, 2007 11:36 AM

Rob (Whitby) wrote:

I am voting Liberal. Yes McGuinty made promises and broken them. WHAT POLITICIAN HAS NOT. Was it not Tory's friend Harper who said he wont touch Income Trusts - broken. PEOPLE, THEY ALL LIE!

However, Ont is better after 4 years of McGuinty. He had a mess to clean up. Let's see how he does in the next 4

Posted October 10, 2007 11:24 AM

John (Stratford) wrote:

Let's make a change this time. Let's vote in MPP.

Posted October 10, 2007 08:58 AM

Ron (Princeton) wrote:

Well, its 8:20am, October 10th/07, election day. Im sitting here with my wife discusing the election, and we both agree, we have no idea who we will vote for. I want to vote Liberal, as there platform is the one i most agree with, however, i cant forgive Mr McGuinty for all his broken promises, and dont want a majority government{which i feel they are heading for}. I dont see eye to eye with Mr Tory, and how will Mr Hampton pay for all his promises.

I would like to know more about the green party, but the little time i have for media, other than radio, seem to have been about Faith based school funding, which i feel has taken over. Granted, its very important, as i have 3 young children, however, there is so much more that should be taken into consideration before making a choice. I feel very uneducated this time around, and thats partialy my fault, but never in 13 years of voting have i ever felt so unsure about who to vote for.

Posted October 10, 2007 08:41 AM

Joshua Buist (Financial_Analyst) wrote:

Upon arriving from Canada from the US in 2001, I quickly deciphered a number of individuals were unhappy with the slashing of social services by the Conservative government under Mike Harris, and many were equally infuriated by the free spending ways of the Bob Rae NDP era. Many will criticize McGuinty, somewhat justifiably, for claiming taxes wouldn't increase, but the reality is, a $5.6 billion deficit legacy requires additional government funding to prevent additional government cuts in things people in Canada cherish, i.e. roads, infrastructure, health care, education, etc.

Historically, I have been disappointed in the Republican/Conservative parties, as they preach fiscal responsiblity, but seem to always incur massive budget deficits, while slashing education/social programs/health care. In the long-term, it's just not worth it, although I definitely respect John Tory's attempt to open up the Conservative party in the GTA. What I am really hoping for is that someone in the provincial or federal government wakes up and realizes that Toronto and its infrastructure is the lifeblood of this province, in the same way New York City is the lifeblood of New York State.

Posted October 9, 2007 11:09 PM

Ann (Sarnia) wrote:

The Liberals have produced good results, and are running a conservative campaign--realistic outlooks. Other parties stands on issues would end in disaster--example: the faith based schools.

Despite the hospital controversy in this area, we have a dedicated liberal MPP who has worked tirelessly for our community, and was voted in as cabinet minister because she produces results. She is not to blame for rising hospitatl costs or delays. There is a light to the end of the tunnel, and if voters take an honest look at the Liberal party and candidate they will congratulate DiCocco for a job well done.

Posted October 9, 2007 09:31 PM

JMD (Ottawa) wrote:

To all Ontario Liberal voters,

Please do NOT vote Liberal this time.

The polls are indicating that the Liberals are heading for a majority government despite the lies and waste. If you vote Liberal and they get a majority, you will have told Mr McGuinty and the Liberals that you don't care if a politician lies to you. You will be telling them that you don't mind paying $650.00 each year while the government registers a surplus. You will be telling them that you don't mind if a cricket club asks for $150,000 and they are handed $1 million. You will be telling them that the slow progress in the health care area if acceptable. You will be telling them that Liberal voters have a short memory and that they don't mind being secretly laughed at by the politicians they elect.

Mr McGuinty no sooner was elected that he broke his promise not to raise taxes and imposed a $650.00 health tax, blaming it on the deficit. Although it was well known before the election that there would be a deficit, he made a firm promise to Ontarians anyway not to raise taxes. The Liberals must be taught the lesson that if you lie to the electors, you will be punished!

So please, for this time only, do not give the Liberals a majority. Vote for the NDP, the Green Party or any party other than the Liberals and Conservatives.

Make your vote a protest vote - do NOT vote Liberal this time!

Posted October 9, 2007 03:17 PM

David (London) wrote:

Despite the polls suggesting a Liberal Majority, it sounds like many of the electorate are finally seeing Dalton McGuinty for who he is - that is a politician who can't be trusted in the Premier's office.

Seems as though many Ontarians are listening in the final week of the election campaign. One key election promise that Dalton McGuinty broke was the issue regarding funding for children who suffer from autism, and the respite care which is something John Tory is promising this campaign around. Instead of the legal battles which have amounted to over 2 Million as stated by Kevin and Joanna Twaites, he could have used that money for treatments of these children instead of battling parents in the courts. Well said Kevin and Joanna.

The election isn't over yet, and it still could lead to surprises on election night. Let's hold this government accountable for there actions (or lack thereof.)

Posted October 9, 2007 02:49 PM

Nav (Toronto) wrote:

It's time for change. Too many broken promises with the Liberals. Too many services taken out of OHIP such as, eye exams. Dalton found a weak point to target Tory, which was the funding of faith-based schools. Why not focus on real issues. Vote John Tory!

Posted October 9, 2007 01:44 PM

Peter (TorontoOntario) wrote:

I will be voting for John Tory and the Progressive Conservative Party. Initially, I was reluctant to vote for the Conservatives due primarily to Mr. Tory's support of the extension of full funding to faith-based schools. He demonstrated an act of political courage however, by reversing field in the middle of the campaign after listening to voters. In addition, he was an active leader of the opposition through his visits with Ontarians in every region of the province.

Posted October 9, 2007 01:22 AM

Martin (Thornhill) wrote:

I am with PC because the Liberals have broken too many promises and I do not want Ontario to hit rock bottom cause that would really suk. I dont think NDP has the responsibility to be premier, so I will vote for PC. If the people in this province are crazy enough to vote for 4 more years of useless goverment then vote for liberal.

Posted October 8, 2007 03:39 PM

john gerassimou (lasalle_ontario) wrote:

Ever since the defeat of the Ray government the gap between the rich and the poor is getting wider. How are these Conservative tax breaks for banks and insurance companies by Mc,Guinty helt. The NDP would first roll back the raise that Conservatives and Liberals agree with then raise the minimum wage immediately. Orange earned my vote.

Posted October 8, 2007 03:35 PM

les (markham) wrote:

i would have liked to have voted n d p however my vote would be waisted, the thought of voteing the p c party back in power to continue the extreme right wing policies of harris is to horrible to cotemplate that man and his cronies ruined our social net john TORY!!! takes his marching orders from the likes of harris a pc is a pc leopards do not change there spots !!!

Posted October 8, 2007 12:57 PM

Jarend (Woodstock) wrote:

My vote is going to Tory and the concervatives.

Dalton knows full well that his policy rejecting faith based schools is unjust. However he is in bed with the teachers union and doesn't have the stones to stand up for what is right. The union is treatened by funded faith based education because it lessens there ability to hold the children of this province hostage with a strike.

Thanks John Tory for caring about all the children in this province and putting them ahead of political games.

Posted October 8, 2007 10:47 AM

Larry Wells (Hamilton) wrote:

Dalton McGuinty came to Hamilton with a truck load of money and promises to try to buy Hamilton voters, but we learn 4 years ago about his broken promises, Hamilton is a sea of orange and I will also vote for the NDP

Posted October 8, 2007 09:01 AM

Paul M (Hamilton) wrote:

I will vote for John Tory as he demostrates integrity. Something on Lib ever does. Starting with PET in '74 (remember "no wage and price controls" because he could see that the Canadian people didn't want them? Bob Stanfield was defeated for honesty - he knew they were needed - and PET promptly put them in. Continue thru Jean Chretien (abolish the GST and NAFTA) and Dalton (I will not raise taxes), and you have a consistent history ofd prevarication by Libs.

Of course, to be fair, the Canadian people got the gov'ts they deserved because they vote for whoever tickles their fancy with what they want to hear. No, I will not vote Libs and to vote NDP would be worse - they want all kinds of social spending but guess where the bux come from? Higher Taxes!

Posted October 8, 2007 03:49 AM

James Murray (Ottawa) wrote:

The Liberals are outstanding, McGuinty is standing up for our public schools, he has made progress since 2003, class sizes are coming down, Test scores are up, more kids are staying in school.

if John Tory gets elected, he will turn things around so our kids will have difficulty in school. I dont think the Tories care about students.

Then there is health care, The Tories will shut down hosptials and fire nurses, its happened under the last Tory government. This is unacceptable.

Under the tory watch, wait times will soar higher than under McGuinty, in which under him, wait times have slowly come down but not by a vast amount.

Then theres Hampton and the NDP, who havent been very clear on what they want to do with education and health care and i would be foolish to vote for them because of this. The Liberals have been the most consistent.

Posted October 8, 2007 12:41 AM

Pete (Lambton_County) wrote:

The conservative candidate in my riding had recently made a comment that his party will keep the Lambton coal fired generating station operational thereby saving 400 jobs.

Apparently the recent comments by experts stating the citizens in our area are at the most risk to contract cancer through exposure to all the pollutants in the air then in any other place in all of Canada. Whats with them, don't they care about all of us other people in this area. I will support the Liberal candidate in my area.

Posted October 7, 2007 11:27 PM

Wade (Toronto) wrote:

Yes I am voting Liberal so Toronto hits bottom voting Liberal is like a drinking problem until you hit bottom you can't get cured then the city will vote Conservative, so vote liberal and lets get tot the bottom quicker. We just got over the Paul Martin cruel cuts that he passed on to Harris and now we have a give away government again.
Tory makes too much sense and is too good for us.

Posted October 7, 2007 10:45 PM

Kevin and Joanna Twaite (Toronto) wrote:

John Tory Conservatives got our vote because he offered respite support which would benefit our two Autistic sons. He said he could go out for a break anytime when parents of Autistic children could not without respite. Also McGuinty's Liberal Government wasted over two million dollars fighting parents of Autistic children in court over treatments.

Posted October 7, 2007 07:21 PM

Fool (Missasauga_) wrote:

I will vote for the Liberals, because I like the way he made us last in everything. Its also nice that he hangs around the elementry schools and scares them the faith based kids will take away the money for their school. What a clever campaign to use the visable minorities as not making good school choices for their kids, he should be in charge of them.

Posted October 7, 2007 05:16 PM

John (Thunderbay) wrote:

Since I do not scare easy and the Liberal media doesn't decide who I vote for and since I will not be manipulated, I will vote for a decent men and women the Conservatives.
I feel the liberals ran a campaign that was cruel by using people to scare the majority, thats not right and I will never support that kind of politics.

Posted October 7, 2007 05:09 PM

Gaylan (Ottawa) wrote:

I feel that the Tory promise to fund faith based schools where they teach the ten commandments, Adam and Eve and are free of violence is wrong because they do not teach hopmosexuality is normal.

People should rely on the Liberal media how to vote. Sure Dalton has a few dollars to account for but he is trying to make sure all kids get a public education even if it offends some minorities.

Posted October 7, 2007 05:01 PM

Roxy (Toronto_) wrote:

Why the Liberal Elementry School campaingn can't the Liberals face adults is this the only way they can get a crowd, something fishing here.

Posted October 7, 2007 04:58 PM

Roxy - Why the Elementry Schools -Campaign? (Toronto) wrote:

I felt that I was being manipulated by the Liberals and all their leader campaining all the time in elementary schools. Can't he face adults.

Posted October 7, 2007 04:55 PM

Eric (Ottawa) wrote:

I'm not really sure what party to vote for this year. But, I'm heavily considering John Tory after all of Mr. Mcguinty's broken promises.

Can anyone give me any good reasons for or against this?

Posted October 7, 2007 02:36 PM

Ray (Timmins) wrote:

In Northern Ontario it appears the NDP will again win a few seats and ensure that we are forgotten for another 4years. We do not seem to understand what strategic voting means.The whiners will continue to criticize without any capability to offer solutions.

Posted October 7, 2007 09:54 AM

Kevin (Woodstock) wrote:

The government of the day was instrumental in Toyota locating a new assembly plant in Oxford County which will create approximately 2000 new jobs and numerous spin off industries for Oxford and Middlesex Countys, might I add good paying jobs not as the NDP and Conservatives portray. Check out the statistics released today. I have four children attending school in smaller class sizes, no interruption due to teachers strikes, after school programs are again available to students who wish to participate.
I travel the province for my employment and I can assure you our roads are being repaired and maintained. (Gas tax promise) It reminds me of the Bill Davis years, calm and prosperous.

If you read any of the post debate analysis, there was no clear winner, I invite you to review the opening statements presented by each party that set the tone of the debate.

I am pleased that you are able to vote for your local member as you feel they will best represent your needs but in the current political system (FPTP)my choice is to support the party in power even though I have great respect for Ernie Hardeman the incumbent member.

Sorry David, but the Premier has the "guts" to deal with tough issues especially with the 5.6 billion dollar deficit inherited by the previous Conservative administrations. (balanced budgets, another promise)

After the election the knives will be out for Mr Tory to step down as leader, he has clearly not demonstrated a viable alternative to the electorate. If you are not aware, check the election prediction website,
www.electionprediction.com, the site has predicted Mr Tory will be unsuccessful in the riding of Don Valley West.

Posted October 6, 2007 12:16 PM

David (London) wrote:

Well Kevin, at least John Tory didn't promise manna from the skies as your fearless leader Dalton McGuinty did. 231 promises, remember? Can you name one that he actually kept?

I voted for the candidate in my riding that I believe could better serve at Queen's Park.

The reason why there is calm and hope in this province is because Dalton McGuinty doesn't have the guts to deal with complex and difficult situations when they arise. If you watched the debate, he deflected every question poised to him, and had his head down or never looked at the camera. In my books, that's dishonesty!!

Posted October 6, 2007 06:44 AM

Devin (Woodlawn_Ontario) wrote:

Tory could have had my vote, but for this school nonsense. I'm aware that's one issue out of many, but what that issue represents (separation of church and state) is something that is of significant importance to me.

I'm still uncertain at this point whether I will vote Liberal, NDP, or Green. I'm actually edging to Green, thanks to an analysis of my local candidates. I like Hampton's message, but I'm leery on how he intends to pay for these programs. As for McGuinty, I'm a bit disappointed in him, but I won't mind if his party forms the next government.

And for the record, I've been a Liberal ever since I was able to vote.

Posted October 5, 2007 11:03 PM

Kevin (woodstock) wrote:

I'm sure David in London voted for Mike Harris and his Common (Nonsense) Revolution, it is pretty obvious you always support the Conservatives.

I for one don't want to return to the days or the mess that Mike Harris and Ernie Eves left this province in after their tenure in office. I agree promises were broken but to inherit a massive deficit (5.6 billion) tough decisions had to be made and the government of the day tackled these inherited problems.

Sorry David but the current government has brought calm and hope to the province, instead of confrontation and brow beating, you must have been one of the lucky ones to eat more than just TUNA as suggested by a former Conservative Cabinet Minister to the less fortunate of the province.

Posted October 5, 2007 08:21 PM

Michaelm (Ontario) wrote:

NO, I will stick with Hampton and NDP. If only Belinda would run for Ontario Liberals, then I vote Liberal but not this time.

Posted October 5, 2007 07:48 PM

David (London) wrote:

John Tory has shown a compassionate side to this campaign which is lacking in our Premier. You remember when the Premier strolled through a Ottawa hospital and said hello to a cancer patient who has been stricken with cancer. When the patient said that "I'm sick with cancer, and you're not helping," the Premier replied "That's not true" and kept walking off.

John Tory wants to help Parents who have children with autism because they have funding up to 6 years of age. He wants to extend that beyond the 6 year age cutoff. Instead of the legal battles with parents, perhaps the Premier could start listening to concerns that are being raised.

I have already cast my vote, and it went to a PC candidate in my riding.

Posted October 5, 2007 02:42 PM

Cecil (Toronto) wrote:

Nothing really swayed my vote this time. I was willing to give John Tory a chance, and I think I will still vote PC.

All of the Liberal fear-mongering about faith-based schools, and their nonsense about the PC's wanting to privatize heathcare didn't bring me to their camp. I am so tired of Liberal scare tactics on every issue, I find it really insulting. They are just like the Federal Liberals in that regard. I am still waiting for the "US-style Heathcare" and soldiers in the streets that Paul Martin warned us about if Harper was elected.

I gained alot of respect for Howard Hampton, but I would never vote NDP because I don't believe they have what it takes to run the province responsibly. They are a good opposition party in that they bring alot of important issues to the forefront.

Posted October 5, 2007 02:00 PM

John (Barrie) wrote:

Mr. Tory swung my vote his way for 2 reasons.

Firstly in the debates he was great, he hammered home the point that the Liberals promises are not worth the paper they are printed on. Mr. Hampton did somewhat the same thing, but I only fear he may not be able to control the true NDP agenda, as was Bob Rae failing.

Secondly Mr. Tory has shown he is willing to listen, and willing to change. The people of Ontario showed their was a great devide in public opinion about fiath based funding. While this never should have been an election issue to start with Mr. Tory did somehting almost unheard of in polotics, he admited he was wrong, and found a way to still try and bring this to the teable, but allow the public to have their voice heard at the same time.

Posted October 5, 2007 01:48 PM

Julie (Kitchener_Ontario) wrote:

I wrote all of my local candidates regarding the issue of Bill 132, the amendment to the "Dog Owners Liability Act" which is terrorizing Ontario people who are reported for owning "Pit Bulls" when in fact, they own completely different breeds of dogs.

This Bill is focusing on the looks of an animal rather than responsible ownership, which it should be. It is creating very bad social values for children who live in fear that their beloved family pet will be taken away because it "looks different".

This Bill is an an abomination to society and needs to be changed to something more responsible and reflective of what it intends to do, which is "make Ontario citizens safer from dog attacks". This is something the Bill has failed to deliver, as 2 people were killed by Golden Retrievers just months ago.

I recieved only one response, from my local PC representative who told me he would fight to change this law to place the onus on the owners, where it should be. I may not like some of the PC's ideas for healthcare and schools, but if I know my MP is listening to me, perhaps my views can be taken to Parliament. That is important to me.

Posted October 5, 2007 12:44 PM

District Profiles

Story Tools: PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

World »

Ebola outbreak: Sierra Leone lockdown not extended video
A three-day lockdown in Sierra Leone aimed at stemming the worst Ebola epidemic on record will not be extended.
UN Climate Summit: Thousands march worldwide ahead of meeting video
Thousands of demonstrators marched in nations around the world on Sunday ahead of this week's UN Climate Summit, a meeting environmental groups think could help move the world towards a global agreement to reduce greenhouse gas pollution.
Importing air pollution from China video
Is it cloudy or is it pollution? The CBC's Andrew Lee examines the perils of pollution in China.
more »

Canada »

UN Climate Summit: Vancouver joins thousands in worldwide rallies
More than 1,000 Vancouverites filled the CBC Plaza, joining hundreds of thousands more around the world as 125 world leaders prepare to converge Tuesday on New York City in an historic UN summit on climate change.
Breaking Serena Vermeersch homicide: Suspect arrested, charged
A man has been arrested and charged in connection with the homicide of 17-year-old Serena Vermeersch. The Surrey, B.C., teen was found dead on Tuesday, killed in an apparently random attack.
Wind, rainfall warnings blanket Atlantic coastline
Atlantic Canadians in coastal Newfoundland, southern Labrador and the southern half of Nova Scotia are under wind and rainfall warnings as an intense low pressure system tracks towards the provinces.
more »

Politics »

Tories revive union bill that provoked Senate rebellion, move to limit debate video
Conservative senators are making a bid to cut short debate on private members' business just as the Senate is about to revive debate on a controversial bill that would force unions to publicly disclose details of their spending.
UN Climate Summit: Thousands march worldwide ahead of meeting video
Joe Oliver urges weaker G20 economies to follow Canada's stimulus model
Finance Minister Joe Oliver says while some European countries need more stimulus spending, that's not what he's planning for Canada. Oliver urged his G20 counterparts meeting in Australia to ensure they have plans to balance budgets when stimulus spending ends.
more »

Health »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

more »

Arts & Entertainment»

Linda Griffiths, actor and playwright, dead after battle with cancer
Actor and playwright Linda Griffiths, best known for her iconic performance in the 1980 one-woman play Maggie and Pierre, has died after a battle with breast cancer, a family friend said.
Nude celebrity photo leak: More images posted to online forums
More nude photographs of celebrities were leaked online Saturday in what appears to be the second release of material from a hacker who posted intimate images of dozens of celebrities on an internet forum earlier this month.
Leonardo DiCaprio film holds open casting call in Yellowknife
The Revenant, a film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, is holding an open casting call for First Nations women in Yellowknife on Saturday.
more »

Technology & Science »

Apple's iPhone 6 selling out early in Canada video
Hundreds stood in line Friday morning at malls across Canada to buy the iPhone 6, Apple's newest release, but not everyone went away happy.
Chris Hadfield: What NASA spacecraft deal means for ISS research
NASA has just cut a giant cheque to two companies so that its astronauts won't have to hitch a ride with Russia to the International Space Station. Chris Hadfield weighs in on what it all means for the collaborative research that gets done on the ISS.
Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
The mystery of why male chimps kill other adults has been solved, according to U.S. researchers.
more »

Money »

Pricey baggage, tip etiquette, and Scotland's 'no' vote: BUSINESS WEEK WRAP video
From the Scottish referendum, and what a rejection means for the U.K. economy, to the uproar over airline baggage fees and leaving tips for housekeeping, it was a busy week in financial news. The CBC's Jacqueline Hansen gets you caught up with our weekly video recap.
Joe Oliver urges weaker G20 economies to follow Canada's stimulus model
In Depth Battle for your breakfast buck: Fast food attacks cereal's supremacy
The invention of cereal more than 100 years ago transformed the average breakfast. Now fast-food restaurants are trying to cash in on Canadians’ new morning craving for even more convenient foods.
more »

Consumer Life »

Sorry - we can't find that page

CBC.ca

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

more »

Sports »

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Recap Roughriders rally to beat Redblacks in overtime
Chris Milo kicked a 22-yard field goal in overtime to give the Saskatchewan Roughriders a 35-32 victory over the Ottawa Redblacks on Sunday.
Recap Alouettes surprise Stampeders in Hall of Fame game
Jonathan Crompton threw touchdown passes to James Rodgers and Duran Carter as the Montreal Alouettes ended the injury depleted Calgary Stampeders' six-game winning run with a 31-15 victory in the Hall of Fame game Sunday at Percival Molson Stadium.
In Depth Greg Westlake: Bloody victories
As Canada honours its Paralaympians in a special ceremony on Friday, CBC Sports introduces you to one of the country's greatest sledge hockey players in Greg Westlake.
more »