Your View

A free vote on faith-based school funding

October 1, 2007 | 01:42 PM

PC Leader John Tory has softened his stance on faith-based schools, announcing Monday that if elected on Oct. 10 he would hold a free vote on the issue.

Religious school funding has been one of the hottest issues this election, due to Tory's pre-election promise to extend funding to all faith-based schools that follow provincial curriculum. In the current system, funding is only provided to the public and Catholic school systems.

The $400-million plan spurred controversy and debate on the campaign trail, along with a divide in the party. Two candidates have already broken rank and said they would vote against extending funding.

Under a free vote, candidates would not be obligated to toe the party line.

Read more about faith-based school funding

How do you feel about holding a free vote on the issue? Does this move change your views on the Conservative platform?

« How do you feel about a new voting system? | Main | What issues have flown under the radar this election? »

This entry is now Closed. View the comments.

Comments: (50)

R. Todd (Hamilton) wrote:

I applaud Mr. Tory for having the strength to raise this issue. In no way would funding to faith based schools detract from the current system; it would only strengthen the curriculum being taught in the faith based schools that are already in place. Parents that currently send their children to faith based schools have the same rights as those that choose to send their children to either the public board or the Catholic board (faith based schools in case you did not know) that already exist. The Liberals attacked this proposed policy with fear mongering attacks that unfortunately worked and unfortunately we all will have to live with at east another four years of lies yet to be told!!

Posted October 11, 2007 07:49 AM

Posted October 11, 2007 12:27 AM

Sharron (Burlington) wrote:

Faith-based school funding in a secular society is absurd.

Since the Canadian Charter demands that we fund Catholic schools, we should, as the country that's proud to be equal in everything we do, extend that to also fund Muslim and Jewish schools.

Anything else is un-Canadian.

Posted October 10, 2007 10:53 PM

Sophie Fagan (Toronto_Ontario) wrote:

I think that funding faith based schoolsis kind of stupid 'cause it would sort of separate culture and I think that if you want to go to school that teaches your culture you should pay for it because public school celebrates and talks about holidays. Also I heard that it would have taken away 5,000 dollars from public school!!
Student, Mcmurrich P.S., grade 5

Posted October 10, 2007 10:02 PM

Sheryl Stewart (St_Catharines_ON) wrote:

Ditto to Doug Crowther, London,ON's comment.

Posted October 4, 2007 11:55 PM

Cassandra (Kitchener) wrote:

I believe that all schools that follow the set curriculum should receive funding.

Are the parents of children who go to a non-public school exempt from paying taxes that fund public schools even thou their children do not attend? No, they are still required to pay the same amount of tax as the next parent.

So unless the government is willing to cut their taxes (the portion that they pay for funding a school system that their children are not in) then they should extend the same to the non-public schools.

Posted October 3, 2007 03:22 PM

Nesar Uddin (Nepean_Ont) wrote:

I appreciate Mr. Tory for raising this issue at the right time without judging his political benefits. We have to concede the strong cleavage in our society based on faith/race no matter how hard we pretend to be civilized. Faith based education will only add fuel to that segregation. There should be only one publicly funded education system in Ontario, and that should be secular. Let our kids decide to choose their religions. It should not be imposed by birth or by society at least in 21st century.

Posted October 3, 2007 03:07 PM

mcat0 (Cameron) wrote:

Did the PC caucus approve of this unpopular policy or was this a personal scheme of Mr. Tory? Why not license all private schools in Ontario and stipulate they teach the Ontario curriculum? No funding involved. Mr. Tory appeared to have the election in the bag but appears quite accident probe and to be always stepping in it. Not a good sign for a campaign that was five years in the planning. Ditto for the leader.

Posted October 3, 2007 03:04 PM

Marsha (Toronto) wrote:

I have read the other blogs and would like to note the following. Ontario premiers may want to funds other religious schools but if the population is so small as one blogger said then don't fund schools separately fund the existing public schools to offer different religous classes, If you practice a faith then your child has the choice to study that faith, as an after school curriculum credit in the public school system.

Funding separate schools for such a small minority of children, I he said 54,000.00 students can be done in the schools already established in the communities in which they live after school. There is no reason to segregate people. Unless you want slavery to come back. PS I think that all religous funding should cease completely though religion is a private matter to be taught at home and in churches.

Posted October 3, 2007 02:17 PM

Lisa (Toronto) wrote:

I am a christian and firmly believe that religous faith should be taught in Churches, Temples, Synagogues and at home.

Government, which is suppose to be separate from "Church", should not fund religous schools at all.

There was a time, place and reason for this back when Lord Durham suggested same be included in the BNA act.

But times are changed. You want it, pay for it from your own pocket, not mine.

Posted October 3, 2007 02:02 PM

Karen Chassels (Oakville) wrote:

I do not feel that religious teachings should be funded in any way by the government/taxpayer. If any citizen wishes to teach their children about any religion this should be done at their own expense and outside of any publicly funded education. The funding of Catholic schools should be repealed.

Mr. Tory has really made a mistake with this one. If he really believes in faith-based funding then he is not standing by his beliefs (flip-flop). If it was just a move to gain votes he showed really poor judgment.
You sure lost my vote Mr. Tory!!!

Posted October 3, 2007 12:41 PM

Maureen Chill (Toronto) wrote:

There was no need for Tory to flip flop. He could have proposed a pilot project for Encounter Education. In a multi-faith district, a core academic program could be enhanced by a faith program taught by faith specialists and an interfaith program taught by interfaith specialists-- the goal being to give students the skills to understand other faiths, create opportunities for interfaith dialogue, and work alongside those of other faiths toward social justice.

We already have the resources to do this, so no added expense is involved. On the other hand, we can reduce the cost of bullying, terrorism, and crime at the school level, because Encounter Ed addresses the root of these problems. Tampering with the Canadian Constitution in order to force a monopoly for the Secular Humanist faith over all other faiths is not only going to goudge our finances and tie up our Province's creative resources for decades in constitutional wrangling, but it is also going to bring us into the era of the New Family Compact -- and that is fundamentally unjust!

Posted October 3, 2007 12:29 PM

Mat Miller (Beamsville_ON) wrote:

I'd like to congratulate John Tory on such a bold flip-flop late in the campaign. Tremendous! For a party that claims to make its policies based on principles, and not polls, this is hypocrisy of the highest order. To top it off, not only does he clearly flip-flop, he then makes the statement "this is not a flip-flop". It amazes me that someone can base their whole campaign on criticizing his opponent's leadership skills and character, and then pull something like that. Come on press. . do your job and publicize this ridiculous move.

Posted October 2, 2007 10:53 PM

Kevin (Woodstock) wrote:

John Tory is just another politician attempting to win the ethnic vote by putting this plank in his platform, it would appear the polls are now deciding his direction (180 degrees)to change his mind, Last week he said there would never be a free vote, now if he forms the next government there will be a free vote. I think this ex cable C.E.O should now stay at home and watch football because he sure has fumbled this one. The Conservative party should kick him out of bounds after the election, he has no credibilty.

Posted October 2, 2007 07:38 PM

mario (hamilton) wrote:

I believe the issue here is not about division or segregating our kids when funding faith-based schools but rather fairness and equality. We Ontarians believe on this and yet when it comes to providing funds for schools of other faith we tend to disagree. Talking about double standard. One of the duties of a leader is to ensure that the minority will be treated with fairness.

I have more admiration for Mr John Tory with his stand on this issue and the way he deals with this now than the other candidates.

Posted October 2, 2007 06:26 PM

Robert (Toronto) wrote:

I would not agree to a free vote. MPPs are subject all sorts of arm-twisting which could cause them to switch their positions (assuming they publically expressed them).

Now that John Tory has opened this Pandora's box the only way to close it (hopefully forever) is to hold a binding referendum which would include the question of continuing to fund the Catholic schools. Let's put it all on the table for the sake of "fairness".

I would have voted for John Tory had he not raised the issue of funding religious schools.

But having done so I must seriously question his political judgment. Why would he:
1) decide to run against the current Minister of Education;
2) then raise issue the of publically funding religious schools which he had to know was highly divisive (doesn't he remember what happended when his mentor, Bill Davis, extended funding to the Catholic schools?)
3) offer Bill Davis as the person to head an inquiry into funding religious schools (Davis is far from objective - what is he going to do - decide it is wrong after he was responsible for extending funding to Catholic schools??!!)

His judgment is so fundamentally flawed I will still vote against him.

Posted October 2, 2007 05:53 PM

Mike (Hamilton) wrote:

Let's face it; the primary reason people send their kids to faith-based schools is because they object to the accepted curriculum.

And let's not be naive here, Tory was appealing to the Conservative's Christian fundamentalist base, not the relatively tiny Jewish, Sikh, or Muslim vote.

If people want their kids to be taught intelligent design rather than evolution, anti-gay ideology, and anti-abortion political tactics, then that's fine by me.

Just not on my dime.

Posted October 2, 2007 05:17 PM

Sam (Ottawa) wrote:

Faith-Based funding should be a referendum issue. Every Ontario taxpayer should have a say in how tax dollars are spent.

Personally, I believe faith-based schools are wrong. They promote segregation of cultures; And Further weaken an already over burdened education system. The infrastructure is already in place for public school systems.

Funding for Catholic schools grades 7 to 13(twelve now) was only established in 1983. Repeal funding for all non-public schools. If a parent wants their child to attend a different school, they can pay for it out of their owe pocket.

I plan to send my child to private school at least until grade 8, where class sizes are smaller and they can handle children's individual needs more adequately. (I have researched and already have a school in mind) It is my right to do so, and I do not expect the rest of Ontarians to pay for that luxury.

If faith-based funding goes through - I am looking to Ontarians to pay for my child's private school!

Posted October 2, 2007 03:13 PM

Freda Kennedy (Castleton) wrote:

I welcome the free vote and feel that de-politicising this issue was the right decision by John Tory. Now this issue will be dealt with properly by studying it and havig all the facts without the emotional attachments and misinformation. Its an issue of fairness to fund faith-based schools. Look at the facts and then decide.

Posted October 2, 2007 03:05 PM

Ottis (Ottawa) wrote:

Sohools are designed to train our youth for the workforce so they can contribute to our society once they mature.

Religion is not as an asset in the workforce; therefore, no publicly funded religious schools should exist. If the parents want to force their religious views onto their children, maybe they should start attending a place of worship themselves.

Posted October 2, 2007 02:57 PM

Paul Klimstra (Hamilton_ON) wrote:

"When has Canada as a nation not complied with a UN edict directed at us?"

Treatment of our aboriginal peoples comes to mind.

"Anytime that the United Nations has gone forward with a complaint against Canada the government be it Federal or Provincial has always complied to that very edict, usually prior to the deadline set by the UN."

The U.N. edict was aimed at the Federal government. Why should a provinicial one step in? And why should it step in when the only choice it has is to fund all religious schools, given that it has to use the not-withstanding option to remove the SSB funding?

Only the Federal government has the power to address the revocation of religious (Catholic) school funding, until it does there is no "choice". And can you see Harper moving forward on this, when he is trying to establish a base in Quebec?

So, once again, do you really think any Ontario government is going to act on a U.N. edict where the only "choice" is to fund religious schools, even though the majority of Ontarians seem to be against it? (If they were for it, Tory wouldn't be reversing his stance and calling for a "free" vote.)

Posted October 2, 2007 09:57 AM

Graham (Mississauga) wrote:

Unfortunately for Tory, I believe it is too little too late. This issue has been a major point of contention during his campaign. Today's news will certainly be seen as conceding, let alone emphasizing the divide in his existing support, party and platform.

Speaking of the issue at hand, it is true that under McGuinty's leadership Ontario has fallen behind compared to other provinces. Ultimately, faith-based schools should receive the same rights (or protections) as the Catholic school system has received. It is only fair and equal. To do this will obviously incur an upfront cost (ie. task force) but hopefully under any party we will quickly adopt a similar model to other provinces that have already managed to fix this with less strife.

To this point, it seems to me that Tory has managed to overkill the issue. Most everyone can agree that fairness is needed, but Tory would rather push emotions and focus on segregation and divide. McGuinty's job seems easy, just sit back and watch Tory dig a deeper hole.

Posted October 1, 2007 11:29 PM

Devin (Woodlawn_Ontario) wrote:

Here's a challenge to my fellow posters, those who agree with Tory's position.

How should Tory convince me, an atheist, that I should vote for him on the basis of this public funding of faith-based schools issue? Make no mistake, he was a strong contender for my vote before this came up...this isn't a left-wing rant.

Before you trot out the 'fairness' card, I'll remind you it is equally fair that ALL faith-based school funding be cancelled.

Keeping all that in mind, explain to me how this initiative serves the province of Ontario. If you can really do it, Tory might just have my vote.

Posted October 1, 2007 09:49 PM

Lance Achilles (windsor) wrote:

I remember back when Bill Davis was the leader of this province and the liberals were screaming for funding of a faith based schooling system which is the catholic system,the people on the right said exactly what the liberals our now saying. It hasn't destroyed our education system all politican and the people who run and work in the system have done that. If I had my way I would pay into the sytem since I do not have any kids and never had an kids.

Posted October 1, 2007 08:24 PM

Scott Carnegie (Winnipeg) wrote:

The government should not fund any private schools, period. People can send their kids to a private school if they want, and they can pay for it if they want. I should not be paying for someone to go a private school in the way of publoc money that comes from taxes.

Posted October 1, 2007 08:09 PM

David (London) wrote:

Kudos to Mr. Tory for taking decisive action and putting the faith based education on the sideline for a while, and to concentrate on reversing public opinion against the Progressive Conservatives.

In the next week or so, I am sure that the tone of the election will get heated as we realize the broken promises of Dalton McGuinty's Liberal Government. Remember that in 2003 he wasn't going to raise our taxes. He promised to fix the school funding formula (there are more portables today than in 2003); remember the broken promise of extending funding to children with autism beyond 6 years of age. It's a disgrace! I agree with Dion that the Liberals should be punished on October 10th. In politics, a week can be a lifetime!

I will be voting for a leader who can stand up and deliver positive leadership. John Tory is that person who will include every Ontarian in that process. I will be voting PC.

Posted October 1, 2007 07:55 PM

Linda (Vancouver) wrote:

It seems the only right thing to do.From the west,though,where we fund private schools of any faith,I am amazed by the rancor and contempt this issue seems to be generating.
Discrimination and bigotry in LIBERAL ONTARIO.And issue to decide an election on----WOW!!!
It must be te smog.

Posted October 1, 2007 06:51 PM

Alex (Toronto) wrote:

I am very disappointed with John Tory's decision. We all know what the result of this "free vote" going to be. I am at a loss, why there was no free vote when it came to gay marriage??!! The truth is that when it comes to the rights of the minorities, there should not be a free "popularity" vote so that the monorities' rights could be protected. Any first year political science student will know this...

I agree with above posts, reagarding being a province of hypocracy (especially politicians). I was going to vote Conservative before, but now I am thinking whats the difference, all the politicians are the same - principials do not matter when it comes to votes. I am not wasting my time to go to the polls.

Posted October 1, 2007 06:40 PM

Scott (Holland_Landing) wrote:

In this case, a free vote is not a demonstration of leadership, but an abdication from leadership.

Tory went for poor public policy and got called on it (not always for the best of reasons, admittedly).

In my opinion, a mid-19th century political compromise is a poor basis for making early 21st-century decisions on education policy.

And his funding figure was understated to boot. First, the numbers wanting to attend faith-based schools would certainly go up if funding were available. Secondly, he only include yearly operating costs and ignored capital costs.

Posted October 1, 2007 06:37 PM

Henry Collins (Toronto_Ontario) wrote:

Can someone explain to me why the 1.5 million Ontarians who are classified as "No Religious Affiliation" are dictating to the 12.5 million who are affiliated with a faith?

I can assure you that the Catholic's in Ontario are large enough in their numbers to more then cover the cost of their separate school board, just as their are enough Protestants in Penatangusine to justify their being a publicly funded Protestant School Board.

We already have faith based funding in Ontario, its not going anywhere and expanding is such a minor issue that the Liberals have somehow turned into something more important then raising my taxes and the Healthcare surtax bomb.

I full agree with Pablo, we are a Province of hypocrites.

Posted October 1, 2007 05:39 PM

Chris Rotnick (Oakville) wrote:

You are kidding right? A nation of 45% Catholic's who are getting an education that is protected by the BNA Act/Constitution Act should be targeted and thus causing a lengthy and expensive legal challenge that the Province will lose.

You should run for the Liberals, they love throwing money out the window, and that's what a funding challenge will bring.

I also find it Ironic that the public is so intent on abolishing the board that not only stays within its budget but has a higher post secondary acceptance rate?

Maybe the Public Board should be abolished as it seems to be the one rot with more administrative bloating and fiscal issues because of mismanagement?

Posted October 1, 2007 05:31 PM

Paul Grenville (Mississauga) wrote:

When has Canada as a nation not complied with a UN edict directed at us?

Which is why its almost certain that regardless of who is in power by 2009 there will be funding or tax credits or something of the sort that will basically fund faith based schools so we do comply.

Posted October 1, 2007 05:26 PM

Norm (Ottawa) wrote:

There should not be a free vote. Real leadership means realizing that the problem is that the Catholic schools should not be funded either. Religion, an idea that the most educated and well informed are concluding has passed it's era of relevance, is for the private life of individuals and not for the public funding of governments.

We need to teach our children to think and to question, not just to believe. This is the only way to build social cohesion.

Posted October 1, 2007 05:25 PM

Paul Klimstra (Hamilton_ON) wrote:

Paul Grenville:

"The United Nations Human Rights Committee demanded November 3 2006 that the government of Canada "eliminate discrimination on the basis of religion in the funding of schools in Ontario"

Do people not read the news or educate themselves anymore?

Tory's plan is in response to that very demand."

Since when has _any_ government, anywhere in the world, abided by a U.N. edict unless it served that government's purpose?

Tory thought he had a winner with this, but it's obvious his handlers read the issue wrong. The majority of Ontarians want a clear separation of Church and State (we'd pull back on the Separate School Board funding, if it didn't breach the Constitution), and the Tories missed that.

Hell, how could they go back to their base preaching support for the funding of madrassas?

Posted October 1, 2007 04:43 PM

M Murphy (Toronto) wrote:

I agree with Wilson Bant in that Tory's big mistake was being upfront about what he wanted to do to address this issue. He decided he would offer the same deal to other relgions that the Catholics get. And now the Liberals have spun it into an election defining issue, suggesting Ontario will be rife with segregation and cultural ghettos (I guess he hasn't been to Brampton lately).

He even had the gall to preach about the evils of faith based school funding from a publicly funded Catholic high school.

So the Liberals have effectively turned the attention away from their record by race-baiting and fear mongering. Sadly, voters in this province see nothing wrong with this and will vote for him again.

Posted October 1, 2007 04:40 PM

Frank Cooper (Hamilton) wrote:

What a roller coaster my vote has been on since this election started.

Tory to McGuinty because of the Faith Based Funding, then over to Hampton after the debate and now back to Tory.

Thank goodness I didn't vote in the advanced!

Posted October 1, 2007 04:31 PM

Daniel Holland (Barrie) wrote:

Will admit it was a topic that really concerned me and had me wavering,

Now I will vote for Tory and voice my opinion to my MP before the free vote.

Posted October 1, 2007 04:27 PM

Pablo (Woodbridge) wrote:

In a self proclaimed "multicultural" nation it is so Ironic that at the first real test of our tolerance we all drank the kool-aide.

I feel as though I should be sitting on the back of my pick-up polishing my shotgun after seeing Ontario's true colors on tolerance.

We as a Province had no issue with the Federal Liberals dropping two billion on a gun registry, or stealing a few hundred million for themselves, because we in large party voted for them,

But the moment it comes to throwing money at the education of people who do not share our faith we balk and we protest and we demand that it not be done.

As others have pointed out, it was the United Nations that asked us to address this issue yet the ruling Liberals did nothing because they feared a voter backlash and will save it for term two when they have already been elected.

I can all but assure you that before Mr. McGuinty leaves power in 2011 we will have some sort of public funding in place for Religious Schools because its our ONLY option to address the UN Claim,

Posted October 1, 2007 04:22 PM

Paris (Thunderbay_) wrote:

The Polls are always wrong and favour the Liberals, and are not anymore beleive that the Liberal them selves.
All I can say is bye bye Liberals.

Posted October 1, 2007 04:10 PM

Paul Grenville (Mississauga) wrote:

Do people not read the news or educate themselves anymore?

Tory's plan is in response to that very demand.

While people scream and yell to eliminate the Catholic Board, the reality is Canada is 45% Catholic and if you think the 5% of Non-Religious Canadians are making a lot of noise over Faith Based Funding just wait till the suggestion of removing the Separate board comes up.

Funding the small amount of Ontario's 54,000 children that are in non-home schooled, non-secular private schools is a very small task and the simple solution.

Why have the NDP or the Liberals not responded to the UN Charge?

What is their solution?

I would suspect its the same as Tories just branded differently and implemented AFTER a government is formed.

Posted October 1, 2007 04:06 PM

Dion (Sarnia_Ont_) wrote:

This shows in Ontario there is a huge problem with faithphobia and the Liberals pushed to be divise on this issue.

The Liberals just pay lip service to problems while John Tory is a passionate leader that cares about a better Ontario.

For the Liberals all I can say is fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

The Liberals should be punished in this election.

John Tory has now just kick started his real campaign and the Liberals peaked too soon. Liberals have embarassed this province for too long.

The Provincial Liberals are no better than the Federal Liberals we kick them out and got good governement lets do it again.

Posted October 1, 2007 04:02 PM

Wilson Bant (Toronto) wrote:

Ontario Voters REALLY need to take ten minutes to educate themselves,

The UN charged us with a human rights violation in 1999 and pressed the matter further in 2005 because we are funding one faith and no others.

Liberal or NDP a solution will need to be tabled by the end of 2008, while we do not need to comply to the UN we as a nation ALWAYS have.

So the solution is Fund None, which would lead to a length and expensive battle with the Catholic Church that owns the property that many Catholic High Schools are built on, and would require attacking the only public board that actually has worked within their budget for the last decade,

Or funding the few faith based private students in Ontario,

Which option do you think the Liberals and their Catholic Leader will take in 2008 after they are in power again?

The biggest mistake Tory made was being honest with Ontario voters upfront,

Because regardless of which party is in power Faith based funding in name or practice will be a reality in a few years.

Posted October 1, 2007 03:59 PM

Arthur (Toronto) wrote:

I am surprised that in 21st-century Canada, John Tory continues to push the "faith-based" schools envelope.

"Faith-based" is just a veiled attempt to fund race-based schools.

Why are we discussing an abhorrent policy that aims to divide children among ethnic lines? Tory's proposal goes against everything we believe in as Canadians. Even South Africa ended such divisive policies years ago!

Why does Tory want to fund schools where Sikh children interact only with Sikh children; where Hindu children interact only with Hindu children; where Armenian children interact only with Armenian children; where Jewish children interact only with Jewish children; where Arab children interact only with Arab children; where Zoroastrian Persians interact only with Zoroastrian Persians, funded with public money?

How is it even possible that we are debating such a proposal?

As a society, we must do everything in our power to ensure that our public education system, such as it is, is strengthened in every way.

We must ensure that the current public school system gets every support and funding so that it is not dismantled or weakened by further fragmentation. Violence in schools, "sick buildings", homeless youth, neglected children and youth from single impoverished single families, insufficient school supplies - especially in some locations - reveal an ever growing need to invest in the current public school system.

By investing in the public schools for all our children and youth, we invest in everyone's future, including our own.

To distract taxpayers from the gist of his proposal, John Tory points to public funding for Catholic schools. But that is not the point. Children and youth of every race and every colour attend Catholic schools. But Tory continues to push for publicly funded race-based schools under the seemingly innocuous name "faith-based".

I find Tory's proposal highly offensive. Don't you?

Posted October 1, 2007 03:26 PM

Goldie Girl (Hamilton_Ont_) wrote:

The Liberals misrepresent everything, they run around and scare everybody, if the Conservatives promised to double your income, the Liberals will say its a hidden agenda to tax you at double the amount, they would take double the money out of the employer to give to you. The Liberals will try and scare me on this too by twisting the facts.
Well the Liberals don't scare this Girl, go Tory go.

Posted October 1, 2007 03:10 PM

J Bennett (Langley) wrote:

I have to wholehearted agree that the teaching of religion has no place in a public school system. The education that each child receives should be the same, and it should be secular in nature. It is up to the parents to teach the religion of their choice to their children, in a home or church setting, not in a school paid for by the taxpayers of Canada.

Posted October 1, 2007 03:07 PM

Roxy R (Toronto) wrote:

This is good news and shows good leadership.

I like John Tory (he's cute too) encouraging people to get the HPV vaccine as HPV causes genital warts and cervical cancer, he really cares the most.

I am skeptical about the negative Liberal response to come from a party saying vote for us warts and all.

Posted October 1, 2007 03:04 PM

Wade Ens (London_Ont_) wrote:

The Liberals have done a good job on scaring people.

Funny there is no violence at these schools.

God now remains only for the rich kids and the poor kids get the Liberal values.

I am tired of politicians that say vote for me because I misrepresented the other persons position on every issue and scared people. We need a change now, a new leader with integrety, I am sure the best candidate knows football and knows its the last part of the game that determines the outcome.

Posted October 1, 2007 02:55 PM

Doug Crowther (London_On) wrote:

If we want to live in harmony we must stop seperating different cultures. The future to any country is it's children. They are not born with hate so don't segragate them because of religon.

Religion should be taught in church not in schools. Teach children in schools that there are different religions and we are to respect the choice of others period. We come to this country because it is a good country and we want a better life so why do we want to change it to the country that we are leaving.

There should be ONE school system maybe Two for advanced children but nothing to do with religion. The cost is a whole new issue but no government seems to realise that there really isn't a money tree.Kudos for Mister Tory for realising his mistake I find it refreshing and will be voting for him.

Posted October 1, 2007 02:26 PM

david ben mark (kitchener) wrote:

Either fund all faith-based schools or none of them. Tory made a calculated decision to fund all faith-based schools and it backfired on him. Changing directions at this stage of the campaign will prove fatal.

I support public school funding ONLY and would gladly change the constitution to eliminate public funding for Catholic schools.

Posted October 1, 2007 02:07 PM

Chris (Barrie) wrote:

Good idea.

Posted October 1, 2007 01:50 PM

District Profiles

World »

U.S. House of Representatives votes to end 40-year-old oil export ban
Defying a White House veto threat, the Republican-controlled House on Friday approved a bill to lift a 40-year-old U.S. ban on crude oil exports.
New Guatemala mudslide death toll rises to 253
The death toll from the mammoth landslide that buried a neighbourhood on the outskirts of Guatemala's capital has risen to 253 as the search for victims enters its second week. Nearly 400 people were still missing Friday.
Video Mideast unrest spreads to Gaza as stabbings continue video
Israeli forces clashed with Palestinian demonstrators along the Gaza border on Friday, killing five of them, as a rash of stabbing attacks in Israel and the Palestinian territories raised fears of wider unrest.
more »

Canada »

Zunera Ishaq, who challenged ban on niqab, takes citizenship oath wearing it video
Zunera Ishaq, the Ontario woman who won court battles affirming her right to wear a niqab while taking the citizenship oath, finally took part in the ceremony on Friday.
Marcel Aubut, ex-COC head, 'infinitely regrets' hurting people
The former president of the Canadian Olympic Committee apologizes to those he hurt in a sexual harassment scandal that led to him stepping down.
Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs demands B.C. Tory Bob Zimmer not seek re-election
The Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs is demanding that Conservative MP Bob Zimmer withdraw his bid for re-election for suggesting that joblessness is largely the cause of Canada's missing and murdered indigenous women.
more »

Politics »

New Advance polls produce long lines, complaints over wait times
It may not provide much solace to the voters today who were frustrated by long lines at advance polling stations, but Elections Canada suggests they should take a more optimistic view about our democratic process.
Citizenship Department leaks to media probed by RCMP
The RCMP have been called in to investigate leaks of "sensitive" information from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, CBC News has learned. The probe comes after media stories based on internal documents leaked from the department have made waves in the federal election campaign.
Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs demands B.C. Tory Bob Zimmer not seek re-election
more »

Health »

Sorry - we can't find that page

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

In a few moments, you will be taken to our site map page, which will help you find what you looking for.

more »

Arts & Entertainment»

FILM REVIEW Hyena Road, My Internship in Canada ask what kind of country we want video
Afghan war film Hyena Road and political tale My Internship in Canada are two dramatically different films hitting theatres, but both ask timely, tough questions about what kind of country we want.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens sets Dec. 14 for world premiere
Disney and Lucasfilm are giving Star Wars fans an early Christmas gift, announcing that the next instalment of the blockbuster series — Star Wars: The Force Awakens — will officially premiere on Dec. 14.
Chris Hadfield's Space Sessions album aims to send listeners off planet video
Canadian astronaut Col. Chris Hadfield recorded songs during his time on the International Space Station. He's now released an album Space Sessions: Songs From a Tin Can so earthlings can better understand the experience of space travel
more »

Technology & Science »

Federal party candidates debate science funding, muzzling of scientists on Quirks & Quarks
Science takes centre stage for political parties as one candidate from each of Canada's federal political parties debates government science policies on CBC's Quirks & Quarks.
ZomBee Watch citizen-science project helps researchers track honeybee-killing parasite
Honeybees are being threatened by tiny flies that lead them to lurch and stagger around like zombies.
Sperm protein links father's lifestyle with offspring's health
There's more and more evidence that men's lifestyle and environment long before they have kids can affect their future children's health. Now, a Canadian-led study on mice has shed some light on how and why that effect occurs.
more »

Money »

Volkswagen's woes continue & pension plans lower expectations: BUSINESS WEEK WRAP video
From a warning to not expect a fix for your diesel-belching VW any time soon, to a warning to pension plans to expect lower returns in future, caution was the word of the week. Luckily Jacqueline Hansen is here to throw caution to the wind in her weekly video recap.
Canada adds 12,000 jobs in September but unemployment rate rises to 7.1% video
Canada's economy added 12,000 jobs last month, but the unemployment rate increased slightly to 7.1 per cent because more people were also looking for work.
New Judge approves U.S. Steel transition plan, suspends retiree benefits video audio
A bankruptcy court judge has agreed to a plan that will sever U.S. Steel Canada from its U.S. parent and allowed the company to suspend pension benefit for tens of thousands of retirees.
more »

Consumer Life »

Sorry - we can't find that page

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

1. Please check the URL in the address bar, or ...
  2. Use the navigation links at left to explore our site, or ...
  3. Enter a term in the Quick Search box at top, or ...
  4. Visit our site map page

more »

Sports »

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Recap Blue Jays drop Game 2 in extra-innings video
Hanser Alberto delivered the go-ahead run with an RBI single in the top of the 14th inning as the Texas Rangers defeated the Blue Jays 6-4 in Game 2 of their American League Division Series in Toronto on Friday.
Blue Jays fans chirping umpire Carapazza over strike zone
Game 2 had Blue Jays fans fired up, especially over the strike zone called by umpire Vic Carapazza. Fans we're not pleased over the confusing area they felt he was calling within. We bring you some of the tweets and memes from the Twitterverse.
Hockey Night in Canada: Free live stream on CBC Sports app
For the 2015-16 season, the CBC Sports app will provide free live streams of select Hockey Night in Canada games on Saturday nights.
more »