Sunday May 29, 2016
Now Willow is out to help Sue Davies find the rightful owner of a letter she found.
While going through papers from my late husband's family I found a typed letter written on the 17th of Sept. 1916 by JA Tennyson - Smith Lewis Gun Officer 10th. R.W.K. Regt. To a Mrs. Bennett telling her of her son's death. It reads;
Dear Mrs. Bennett,
I am most awfully grieved to write to you of your son's death. I can't properly express my proper feelings as they must be so much greater than mine, but believe me I feel Bennett's death very much. He has been with me over a year now as a Lewis Gunner and has always been one of the most willing men with me. He was No. 1 of the gun, that he was in charge of the gun.
On Tuesday morning he was carrying the gun to a new position, a German Sniper saw him and Bennett was shot through the head. His death was absolutely instantaneous. We buried him and I have let the Battalion Orderly Room know the position of the grave.
It hurts me to write to you like this, but I want to express my deepest sympathy with you in your grief.
(signed) J.A. Tennyson Smith
There is no signature on the letter.
I also have a magazine published by the Gravesend and Dartford Reporter Ltd. It is titled "Peace Souvenir and concise history of the war - 1914 to 1918.
The magazine contains articles, photos and one section dedicated to "our fallen heroes" with photos of men from that area who were killed during the war.
There is one photo of a Cpl. R. Bennett (Denton R.W.K. killed. 1916).
We have also found on the internet information on Lieutenant John Allen Tennyson -Smith from the West Kent Regiment who was killed in action at St. Eloi on March 7th. 1917.
This is a bit of a mystery to me as no one in the family seems to know where the letter came from. George's mother came to Canada as a small child in 1907 from Gravesend Kent and this is the only connection I can find. I have emailed the paper in Kent to try and get some information but no response.
I would love to be able to send this letter where it belongs so any help would be very much appreciated.
If you can help, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Friday January 30, 2015
Here are Matthew McFarlane's cider sipping picks:
Guest (Washington State) - Finnrver - Dry Hopped Cider
Saturday July 19, 2014
Once aboard, Cedric Bomford, his father, retired engineer and Ann, mother of Cedric and Nathan, artist and collaborator on the Deadhead, climb on and about the many spaces aboard the barge, contemplating just how the Vancouver Chamber Choir will fit on the sculpture for two special performances.
- May 2016
- Sun., 29 – Lost and Found
- January 2015
- Fri., 30 – Ciders from Matthew McFarlane
- July 2014
- Sat., 19 – Art Barge - Deadhead
- May 2014
- Sun., 18 – Pauline by City Opera Vancouver
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- Sun., 23 – Beers of the Okanagan
- Sat., 22 – Vancouver's Black Strathcona Project
- Sat., 22 – Vintage Radio
- Sat., 22 – Honouring Loss with a Celebrant
- Sat., 22 – BC Archives Boot Camp
- Sat., 22 – Nelson Civic Theatre
- Sat., 15 – Cutting Edge: Horror Movies and Branding
- Sat., 15 – Outdoor Guy Frank Ritcey: Sounds of Nature
- January 2014
- Sat., 25 – Scotch Tasting In Honour of Robbie Burns Day
- Sat., 25 – Requiem for a Glacier
- Sat., 25 – Remembering Tim Jones of North Shore Rescue
- Sun., 19 – Toque Sessions Highlights With Michael Juk
- Sat., 18 – 60th Anniversary of Quebec's Winter Carnival
- Sun., 12 – Voices of the BC - John Alex Campbell
- Sat., 4 – Polar Bear Safari
- December 2013
- Sun., 22 – A Child's Christmas in Wales
- Sat., 21 – Happy Yultide!
- Sun., 15 – A Child's Christmas in Scarborough
- Sat., 14 – Tradeworks - Maninder Dhaliwal
- Sat., 14 – Mountain Culture Magazines
- Wed., 11 – This Day in Vancouver - Jesse Donaldson
- Sun., 8 – Cocktail Culture
- Sun., 8 – Quinzee: The Ultimate Snow Cave
- Sun., 1 – New Music for a church in Kelowna
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- Sat., 31 – The rare and spectacular Hang
- Sun., 25 – B-flat minor: The Wounded Man
- Sat., 24 – Summer Music Festivals with Derek Bird
- Sun., 18 – F-sharp major: The Mystic
- Sun., 18 – Backcountry Barriers With Jeff Davies
- Sat., 17 – East Van Roasters
- Sat., 17 – Summer Music Festivals with Derek Bird
- Sun., 11 – Gold Leaf Fazioli Piano
- Sun., 11 – Salmon Row
- Sun., 11 – Paradise Lost?
- Sun., 4 – Float Garden
- Sat., 3 – To Market with Chef Robert Belcham
- Sat., 3 – Summer Music Festivals with Derek Bird
- Sat., 3 – Bringing Bralorne's Booming Past To Life
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- Fri., 31 – Foncie's Fotos - A Moment in Time, Captured
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- Fri., 9 – Circle Craft
- October 2012
- Sun., 7 – Voices of BC - Maisey Hurley
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012