Nunavut's newly elected politicians will select the territory's premier, speaker, and most of its cabinet ministers in a leadership forum scheduled for Nov. 14.
Members of the territory's third legislative assembly announced the forum date Friday afternoon.
Eighteen of Nunavut's 19 MLAs, most of whom were elected in the Oct. 27 general election, were in Iqaluit this week for an orientation session at the legislature. One MLA, Fred Schell of South Baffin, was elected in a byelection held Nov. 3.
In a news release, MLAs said they decided to leave one of the seven ministerial spots unfilled until early next year, so that the MLA for Akulliq could take part in the race for that seat. The Akulliq MLA will be elected in a byelection scheduled for Dec. 15.
The leadership forum will begin at 10 a.m. ET at the legislature. The event is open to the public, and will also be broadcast live across the territory on local community cable channels.
Under Nunavut's consensus model of government, MLAs select the premier and cabinet members among their own ranks at the leadership forum, usually held two to three weeks after the election.
Selection of the premier and cabinet will be made by secret ballot.
- 'We just have to roll up our sleeves,' says Nunavut premier-elect Aariak
- Nunavut's new premier-elect said she plans to get to work right away with her fellow MLAs to move the northern territory ahead over the next four years.
- Eva Aariak topples incumbent to become Nunavut's 2nd premier
- First-time member of the legislative assembly Eva Aariak defeated incumbent Paul Okalik to become Nunavut's second premier Friday, and the northern territory's first female premier.
- Nunavut MLAs get ready to pick premier, cabinet
- As members of Nunavut's third legislative assembly prepare to decide who will lead the territory for the next four years, rumours and intense lobbying abound in the contest for the top job.
- Akulliq byelection scheduled for Dec. 15
- People living in Repulse Bay and Kugaaruk, Nunavut, will finally choose their MLA next month, after a court challenge cancelled the voting there in last month's territorial election.
- Nunavut MLAs to choose premier, cabinet next week
- Nunavut's newly elected politicians will select the territory's premier, speaker, and most of its cabinet ministers in a leadership forum scheduled for Nov. 14.