Note: "NA" under party description means Non-Affiliated, and the candidate is not affiliated with any registered political party.
Current MHA: Kathy Dunderdale (PC)
District profile: A residential district in the northeast end of St. John’s, including the Wedgewood Park area, it was created in 1995 from parts of the districts of Pleasantville, St. John’s East Extern and Mount Scio Road-Bell Island. Virginia Waters retained 80 per cent of its original territory in the 2007 redistribution, while taking in 14 per cent of Cape St. Francis.
2003: Kathy Dunderdale unseated Liberal incumbent Walter Noel, winning by 1,835 votes.
1999: Noel defeated PC Paul Walsh by 696 votes.
1996: In newly formed Virginia Waters, Noel, the Liberal incumbent from Pleasantville district, defeated PC Bev LeMoine by 1,291 votes.
1989-1996: Noel, a perennial candidate for the Liberal and New Democratic parties, made a breakthrough in the Liberal surge of 1989 in Pleasantville. He was re-elected in the 1993 election.
1975-1989: PC stalwart Jerry Dinn represented Pleasantville for 14 years, starting with the district’s creation in 1975.
(The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.)
|Last Update:October 9, 10:58:12 PM NDT|
N.L. Votes Headlines »
- Williams faces daunting task of managing expectations
- Handed one of the most commanding mandates in Newfoundland and Labrador's history, Premier Danny Williams says he expects to face a cascade of requests for help during his second term.
- Former minister calls Liberal collapse 'catastrophic'
- Able to put their combined caucuses around a single card table, Newfoundland and Labrador's opposition parties are grappling with what life will be like in the shadow of a massive Tory majority.
- Efford keeping keen eye on Liberal leadership
- Former cabinet minister John Efford didn't hesitate Wednesday to indicate he is more than interested in taking over the reins of Newfoundland and Labrador's bedraggled Liberals.
- Williams leads Tory landslide in N.L.
- Danny Williams and his Progressive Conservatives were swept back into office Tuesday night by a massive lead over their political opponents.
- Heartbreak for Liberals as Grit vote collapses
- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals were overwhelmed Tuesday night, as a Tory wave of support claimed districts that had long been in the Grit camp.