Current MHA: Danny Williams (PC)
District profile: Includes western part of Corner Brook, as well as the communities of Gallants, George's Lake, Pinchgut Lake and Spruce Brook. In the 2007 redistribution, kept 91 per cent of its territory.
Political history: Humber West has the distinction of being home base to two premiers: Frank Moores and Danny Williams.
2003: Williams easily held his seat, taking almost 70 per cent of the total vote.
2001: New Progressive Conservative Leader Williams defeated Liberal June Alteen in a byelection, winning by 2,391 votes.
1989-2001: Liberal Paul Dicks won Humber West in four elections. A cabinet minister under Clyde Wells and Brian Tobin, Dicks placed third in the 2001 Liberal leadership campaign. He later left politics to resume his law career.
1979-1989: PC Ray Baird held the district throughout three elections during the Peckford era.
1971-1979: Frank Moores, who resigned as an MP to lead the Tories, represented Humber West for eight years. Under his leadership, the PCs formed the government in 1972. He retired from politics in 1979, and went on to become an influential consultant in Ottawa. Moores died in 2005.
(The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.)
|Last Update:October 9, 10:58:12 PM NDT|
N.L. Votes Headlines »
- Williams faces daunting task of managing expectations
- Handed one of the most commanding mandates in Newfoundland and Labrador's history, Premier Danny Williams says he expects to face a cascade of requests for help during his second term.
- Former minister calls Liberal collapse 'catastrophic'
- Able to put their combined caucuses around a single card table, Newfoundland and Labrador's opposition parties are grappling with what life will be like in the shadow of a massive Tory majority.
- Efford keeping keen eye on Liberal leadership
- Former cabinet minister John Efford didn't hesitate Wednesday to indicate he is more than interested in taking over the reins of Newfoundland and Labrador's bedraggled Liberals.
- Williams leads Tory landslide in N.L.
- Danny Williams and his Progressive Conservatives were swept back into office Tuesday night by a massive lead over their political opponents.
- Heartbreak for Liberals as Grit vote collapses
- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals were overwhelmed Tuesday night, as a Tory wave of support claimed districts that had long been in the Grit camp.