Pet pit bull 'Ace' credited for alerting deaf boy to house fire
Nick Lamb, 13, credits his pet pit bull for alerting him to a fire. (WTHR-TV)
Two-year-old Ace, a pet pit bull, is receiving kudos for alerting a 13-year-old Indianapolis boy, who is deaf, to a house fire, ensuring the boy escaped the home unscathed.
According to the Indianapolis Star, Nick Lamb was home alone and sound asleep without his hearing aids when a fire broke out at his home Wednesday.
"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb told the newspaper.
Ace warned the boy of the fire by licking his face.
"I was like, 'Stop it! What? You want to be fed?' I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside," Lamb told WTHR-TV.
But the dog did not stop until the boy got out of bed and grasped that the house was filled with black smoke.
"I woke up and the entire house was covered with smoke and we ran out in the backyard," Lamb told WTHR-TV.
With his nose and mouth covered with a T-shirt, Lamb rushed out a back door with Ace and managed to grab one of his aids, the Associated Press reported. Once outside, he called 911 and his mother.
According to the Indianapolis Star, Lamb told firefighters that this was the first summer he was considered old enough to stay home alone.
Lindsay Bernard, Lamb's mother, told WTHR-TV that Ace is the reason her son escaped unhurt.
"It's amazing, because if he wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have even woke up."
According to the Indianapolis Star, the house sustained $175,000 in damage. The cause of the fire is under investigation but the homeowners believe it was electrical, starting in the garage.
Has your pet ever done anything heroic?
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2014 (589)
- Apollo 11: CBCNews.ca readers recall first moon landing
- Pet pit bull 'Ace' credited for alerting deaf boy to house fire
- The internet thinks Airbnb's new logo looks like a sex organ
- Black Captain America sparks race debate
- Malaysia Airlines plane crash: World leaders react to MH17 disaster
- 'Can I be your flower girl?': 4-year-old charms couple for wedding role
- 3-year-old boy saves elderly man trapped inside hot car
- @HiddenCash to pick up $5K tab after cash quest damages California park
- Japanese artist arrested after 3D-printing her vagina
- Comcast customer's recorded service call shows how difficult it is to cancel cable
- Wal-Mart to promote women-owned businesses with new product labels
- Facebook's emotion experiment angers users kept in the dark
- IBM's Watson computer creates surprisingly delicious BBQ sauce
- Rob Ford's return from rehab re-energizes mayoral race
- Canada Day 2014: My Canada is...
- ☺ Emojli, an emoji-only social network, to launch
- Rainbow graces Toronto sky to end World Pride
- Losing Jeopardy contestant goes out with a bang
- Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd are leaving The View
- Hockey fans share stories, best wishes for Gino Odjick
- Phrosties: Hipsters mourn shutdown of Instagram-based alcoholic slushie delivery service
- #RedskinsPride: NFL fans hijack Washington Redskins hashtag to denounce team's name
- Most CBCNews.ca readers agree: vaccinate your kids
- 'Leggings are not pants': Qatar launches modesty campaign aimed at tourists
- #FreeTheNipple: Scout Willis goes topless in NYC to protest Instagram's nudity policy
- CBCNews.ca readers split on Rob Ford birthday bash at bar
- Robots could soon replace fast food workers, study says
- LeVar Burton launches Kickstarter to bring back 'Reading Rainbow'
- 50 Cent throws 'worst first pitch ever' at Mets game
- Astronomers geek out over #GRBm31, an explosion that turned out to be a glitch
- Toronto library asked to ban 'violent' Dr. Seuss book Hop on Pop
- Should students be breathalyzed at prom? CBC readers divided
- Mean Girls fans celebrate film's 10th anniversary by wearing pink
- Minnesota toddler to receive kidney after Facebook appeal catches stranger's attention
- 'Goosebuster' drone keeps geese from pooping on Ottawa beach
- Botched execution sparks death-penalty debate in CBC Community
- 'Hug, don't judge,' says Michigan man after Shaq selfie ridicule
- Willie Nelson gets 5th degree black belt for 81st birthday
- 'We are all monkeys:' Soccer stars back Dani Alves following racist taunt
- NBA players, fans react to Donald Sterling's lifetime ban on Twitter
- Websites selling 'pro-ana' bracelets concern eating disorder specialists
- 'I don't want to turn four': Little girl dreads birthday in video
- CBCNews.ca readers shrug at Trudeau's salty language
- Wish to meet LeBron James granted for teen basketball player with cancer
- Texting and walking problem addressed by tech giants
- Malaysia Airlines MH370: 'Indian Ocean' video just latest hoax
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer sparks creepy Michelangelo meme
- CBC readers debate unpaid internship crackdown, share own internship tales
- NASA asks public to vote on its next-generation spacesuit design
- 'Babysuiting' meme puts adorable infants in grown-up clothes
- Junk to treasure: Alabama couple sell jug for $100,000
- Tens of thousands of people have been playing 1 game of Pokemon for 2 weeks
- CBC readers give tips on avoiding bad investment advice
- Horse head mask squirrel feeder will haunt your dreams
- Toronto writer live-tweets being locked inside the Bay
- Twitter users rock and mock 'normcore' fashion trend
- 'Winter Misery Index' confirms 2014's weather has been particularly miserable
- Train conductor pens personal apology to commuters for mix-up
- CBCNews.ca readers mock Quebec's Facebook language complaint
- Seth Rogen gives powerful Alzheimer's speech at Senate hearing
- 'Tumbleweed Invasion 2014': Tumbleweeds bury New Mexico town
- Super Bowl tickets for hearing-impaired twins delivered by Seahawks' Derrick Coleman
- 'We're going to the Super Bowl, mom!': Son surprises Seahawks fan mother with tickets
- Chinese New Year 2014: 'Wooden horse' celebrated in online art
- LIVE CHAT REPLAY: Can sports performance products make us better?
- Justin Bieber fans flock to Toronto police station for pop star's arrival
- Celebrity ads ineffective (unless it's Ellen Degeneres): study
- CATNADO: Tornado picks up feral cats in the U.K.
- Fans of Lego, Google share their #BuildWithChrome creations
- Ukrainian protests captured with smartphones
- July (63)