Disabled tortoise gets Lego wheel for missing leg
Schildi the tortoise is lucky to be alive -- and thanks to his brand new prosthetic Lego wheel leg, he's also one of the coolest-looking tortoises you'll likely ever see.
Abandoned in the German countryside, Schildi was severely injured when a good-hearted citizen brought him to veterinarians at the Birdconsulting International veterinary practice in Baden, Germany.
"He was in pretty bad shape when they brought him to us," said Dr. Panagiotis Azmanis to The Local. "The lower part of his front leg was missing, and the upper part was very bad, with bone showing, and maggots in necrotic flesh."
After working to stabilize him, veterinarians were forced to amputate Schildi's leg.
The animal recovered successfully from his injuries, but was left unable to move around without a fourth appendage.
Azmanis had an idea.
"Tortoises need to run free in gardens, so he needed a prosthetic," he said. An office toy box had just what Schildi needed.
Azmanis explained to the Local that he used special veterinary surgical glue to stick a Lego base block to the underside of the tortoise's shell.
"After that we could add blocks to achieve the correct height," he said, noting that this may be necessary as the animal grows.
After the blocks were in place, a small Lego wheel was added for mobility.
"First we fitted a double wheel but it was difficult for him to turn corners so we replaced it with a single wheel and that is much better for him," said Azmanis.
Now, as the above video shows, Schildi can scoot around just fine. He currently resides at an animal shelter.
"We will see him again once in a while for check-ups," Azmanis said. "If he gets a 'flat tire' it will be a simple matter to replace the wheel. They move around quite a lot so I'd expect to see him for a new wheel about once a year."
Schildi isn't the only animal who gets around with some technological assistance.
Earlier this year, one pet owner made headlines with the innovative underwater wheelchair she fashioned for her disabled goldfish, and CBC Reader Keely McIllwain shared the story of her homemade dog wheelchair with us last July.
Have you ever done something to assist an animal in need? Share your stories with us below!
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2013 (1137)
- Harvard students stumped on Canada's capital
- Disabled tortoise gets Lego wheel for missing leg
- How J.P. Morgan's Twitter chat turned into a marketing disaster
- Batkid saves San Francisco in epic Make-a-Wish dream come true
- Shutterbugs support Typhoon Haiyan relief with #unselfies
- How a fake Rob Ford story got a real response from Charlie Sheen
- Rap Genius community rallies against NMPA takedown notice
- George Clooney says celebrities should not be on Twitter
- #MoreThanFord Twitter campaign hopes to shine new light on Toronto
- Teen files complaint over racist 'skin colour' paint shade
- Photoshop fail prompts apology from Chinese government
- Rob Ford crack video scandal makes headlines around the world
- New York City raises smoking age to 21, debate follows
- Facebook can predict breakups, study shows
- California woman Cecilia Abadie gets first ever Google Glass driving ticket
- Canada's Olympics uniforms get mixed reviews from Canadians
- 'Funeral selfies' get their own Tumblr
- LIVE CHAT Replay: Pipeline safety in Canada
- How #skybluepink and 3,500 strangers comforted dying man Brian Curtis
- Royal Canadian Legion asks Reddit to remove poppy over trademark
- Cookisto lets you buy your neighbours' leftovers
- 20 per cent of Yelp reviews are fake, study shows
- White House's Obamacare pitch recruits fuzzy animals
- Breaking Bad withdrawal sets in as fans say goodbye to series
- Jesus was the original tweeter, says Vatican Cardinal
- Cheating husband needs 10K Facebook "likes" to reunite with wife
- Breaking Bad, Netflix foil spoilers ahead of finale
- Control-Alt-Delete was a mistake, says Bill Gates
- Google celebrates 15 years with doodle, throwback Easter egg
- Rihanna, Teyana Taylor Twitter feud provokes domestic violence outcry
- Grumpy Cat, Lil Bub meet at Internet Cat Video film festival
- Foam finger inventor angered over Miley Cyrus performance
- Tomatina tossers see red over food fight fee
- New app Streetmix lets you design city of your dreams
- Underwater hockey championships shine light on niche sport
- Indie musicians cry foul over foreign worker fees
- The Onion celebrates 25 years of satirizing politics, kittens
- Syria's digital war explodes on social media frontlines
- Neil Armstrong died last year, died again on the internet yesterday
- Patrick Stewart teaches 'quadruple take,' becomes captain of internet
- U.S. inmates can pay for jail upgrade
- Viral 'Camp Gyno' ad is a game-changer
- Scalpers sell Apple Genius Bar appointments in China
- McDonald's burger hailed cheapest, most nutritious food ever
- A Gonzo journalist and his Google Glass
- Readers react to police POV surveillance video debate
- 'Cop selfies' blog raises questions about digital narcissism
- Princess Diana graces Vanity Fair's September cover
- Young cancer victim lives on in favourite game
- Teen Rubik's Cube star sweeps world champs
- Great Canadians Near You: Jeremy Dias
- Party hats top surveillance cameras for George Orwell's birthday
- Google recruits Street View mapping volunteers
- New Yorker recruits Bert and Ernie to celebrate same-sex marriage ruling
- '3-parent' fertility treatments sparks reader debate
- School kids correct celebrity grammar mistakes on Twitter
- Calgary's kids create adorable thank-you notes for volunteers
- Wendy Davis pink trainers sell big online
- June photo contest: How do you start your morning?
- Do you think the Queen deserves a raise?
- Generation Why says farewell for now
- 'Prancercise' founder sashays across the web
- Readers debate merits of anti-bullying video depicting suicide
- Fired Mayor Ford chief of staff laughs it up on Twitter
- Amish teens on Rumspringa rush for Facebook
- Grumpy Cat goes from meme to movie star
- CBCNews.ca readers react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Facebook to crack down on gender-based hate following outcry
- Bank of Canada cries fraud on $90K 'Duffy buck' cartoon
- Canadians react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Illegal wildlife trade thrives on the 'dark web'
- Stanford students seek bone marrow match for beloved professor
- Google Glass user's shower photo freaks out internet
- Canada's new polymer notes get orbital boost
- Inmates use Yelp to review prison conditions
- Canadians react to foreign worker program changes
- VOTE: April Photo Contest Finalists
- Alberta public employees, government tweet across the picket line
- Fashion-savvy seniors flaunt 'Advanced Style'
- Praise rolls in for gay NBA player Jason Collins
- Generation Why: March 29
- Prominent Canadians bid farewell to Ralph Klein on Twitter
- Ralph Klein: Share your condolences
- Vera Wang ditches $500 'try-on' fee in China following global outcry
- Live Online replay: The star power of pandas
- B.C. ad evokes Amanda Todd to warn against 'just one photo'
- 'Stop rape' dislodging 'stay safe' advice on social media
- Brands support same-sex marriage in U.S. debate
- 'Rent a Mourner' fills your funeral with fake friends
- Ogooglebar! Sweden's spat with Google inspires 'ungoogleable' fun
- REPLAY Pope Benedict resigns: What's next for the Catholic church?
- Russian 'ghost' ship has Twitter intrigued
- Beijing woman's dummy tummy stunt on Subway causes outrage
- CPC, Wildrose, CBC line up to cut ties to Flanagan
- Vote for our February photo contest winner
- Married couple sought for millionaire's Mars mission
- Boeing's bid to replace CF-18s gets CBCNews.ca readers talking
- Vatican scrubs @pontifex Twitter account
- Rosa Parks statue unveiled on Capitol Hill
- Morrissey and Jimmy Kimmel in feud over Duck Dynasty
- Opposites attract: Tell us your unlikely love story
- Youth for hire: employing 'Generation Jobless'
- Fired HMV employees take over Twitter account
- Toronto company puts your head on a Pez dispenser
- Perfume for babies released by Dolce & Gabbana
- U.S. man shot in driveway mix-up mourned online
- World reacts to new Blackberry phones, Alicia Keys hire
- Will BlackBerry 10 turn things around for the company?
- Is Volkswagen's new Super Bowl Commercial racist?
- Graphic porn invades Twitter's Vine app
- November (44)