Yes, just as pundit upon pundit has been predicting its demise, Blackberry has been sold.
This, on the heels of another startling announcement that 40 per cent of the company's employees were being laid off last week.
What do these measures spell for the once thriving Waterloo, Ont.-based tech company?
Some say nothing -- that a leaner workforce and new ownership can only benefit the fledgling company. Others say that this is the end, trading whispers about the liquidation of assets and the "death of Blackberry."
This week, on CBC Live Online, host Lauren O'Neil spoke to our guest panelists about what lies ahead for one of Canada's most important companies: Will Blackberry be able to recover from years of dwindling sales, the exit of several top execs and a severely slashed work force?
Special Guests for this episode include:
- Technology analyst Carmi Levy
- CBC Kitchener-Waterloo Online Host Andrea Bellemare
To join the chat, simply:
- Click on "Sign In" inside the Spreecast window.
- You will be prompted to connect with Facebook, Twitter or an email address. Choose one, sign in and follow the prompts to access the chat.
- To ask the guest a question, click on the "Camera" button. One of our producers will private message you before bringing you up live.
- To ask a text-based question, click "Submit Question," and type it in, or expand the window and join the live chat in the right hand box.
Tags: LIVE CHAT
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2013 (968)
- Memories of Loblaws 'food guru' Dave Nichol flood social media
- LIVE CHAT REPLAY: The death of Blackberry?
- Restaurant offers discount for staying off cellphone
- 9,000 bodies stenciled on Normandy beach to honour WWII dead
- Team Canada or Petro-Canada? Hockey fans react to leaked 'Olympic jerseys'
- SARS doctor Donald Low video ignites assisted-suicide debate
- iPhone users fooled by fake iOS7 waterproof ad
- Highway 'texting zones' unveiled in New York
- Science explains why women want to 'eat' babies
- Canadians remember Ben Johnson's tainted race, 25 years later
- Grumpy Cat, Lil Bub meet at Internet Cat Video film festival
- Foam finger inventor angered over Miley Cyrus performance
- Tomatina tossers see red over food fight fee
- New app Streetmix lets you design city of your dreams
- Underwater hockey championships shine light on niche sport
- Indie musicians cry foul over foreign worker fees
- The Onion celebrates 25 years of satirizing politics, kittens
- Syria's digital war explodes on social media frontlines
- Neil Armstrong died last year, died again on the internet yesterday
- Patrick Stewart teaches 'quadruple take,' becomes captain of internet
- U.S. inmates can pay for jail upgrade
- Viral 'Camp Gyno' ad is a game-changer
- Scalpers sell Apple Genius Bar appointments in China
- McDonald's burger hailed cheapest, most nutritious food ever
- A Gonzo journalist and his Google Glass
- Readers react to police POV surveillance video debate
- 'Cop selfies' blog raises questions about digital narcissism
- Princess Diana graces Vanity Fair's September cover
- Young cancer victim lives on in favourite game
- Teen Rubik's Cube star sweeps world champs
- Great Canadians Near You: Jeremy Dias
- Party hats top surveillance cameras for George Orwell's birthday
- Google recruits Street View mapping volunteers
- New Yorker recruits Bert and Ernie to celebrate same-sex marriage ruling
- '3-parent' fertility treatments sparks reader debate
- School kids correct celebrity grammar mistakes on Twitter
- Calgary's kids create adorable thank-you notes for volunteers
- Wendy Davis pink trainers sell big online
- June photo contest: How do you start your morning?
- Do you think the Queen deserves a raise?
- Generation Why says farewell for now
- 'Prancercise' founder sashays across the web
- Readers debate merits of anti-bullying video depicting suicide
- Fired Mayor Ford chief of staff laughs it up on Twitter
- Amish teens on Rumspringa rush for Facebook
- Grumpy Cat goes from meme to movie star
- CBCNews.ca readers react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Facebook to crack down on gender-based hate following outcry
- Bank of Canada cries fraud on $90K 'Duffy buck' cartoon
- Canadians react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Illegal wildlife trade thrives on the 'dark web'
- Stanford students seek bone marrow match for beloved professor
- Google Glass user's shower photo freaks out internet
- Canada's new polymer notes get orbital boost
- Inmates use Yelp to review prison conditions
- Canadians react to foreign worker program changes
- VOTE: April Photo Contest Finalists
- Alberta public employees, government tweet across the picket line
- Fashion-savvy seniors flaunt 'Advanced Style'
- Praise rolls in for gay NBA player Jason Collins
- Generation Why: March 29
- Prominent Canadians bid farewell to Ralph Klein on Twitter
- Ralph Klein: Share your condolences
- Vera Wang ditches $500 'try-on' fee in China following global outcry
- Live Online replay: The star power of pandas
- B.C. ad evokes Amanda Todd to warn against 'just one photo'
- 'Stop rape' dislodging 'stay safe' advice on social media
- Brands support same-sex marriage in U.S. debate
- 'Rent a Mourner' fills your funeral with fake friends
- Ogooglebar! Sweden's spat with Google inspires 'ungoogleable' fun
- REPLAY Pope Benedict resigns: What's next for the Catholic church?
- Russian 'ghost' ship has Twitter intrigued
- Beijing woman's dummy tummy stunt on Subway causes outrage
- CPC, Wildrose, CBC line up to cut ties to Flanagan
- Vote for our February photo contest winner
- Married couple sought for millionaire's Mars mission
- Boeing's bid to replace CF-18s gets CBCNews.ca readers talking
- Vatican scrubs @pontifex Twitter account
- Rosa Parks statue unveiled on Capitol Hill
- Morrissey and Jimmy Kimmel in feud over Duck Dynasty
- Opposites attract: Tell us your unlikely love story
- Youth for hire: employing 'Generation Jobless'
- Fired HMV employees take over Twitter account
- Toronto company puts your head on a Pez dispenser
- Perfume for babies released by Dolce & Gabbana
- U.S. man shot in driveway mix-up mourned online
- World reacts to new Blackberry phones, Alicia Keys hire
- Will BlackBerry 10 turn things around for the company?
- Is Volkswagen's new Super Bowl Commercial racist?
- Graphic porn invades Twitter's Vine app
- September (86)