Trending: Whitby house fire, Derrick Rose ACL tear, Jimmy Kimmel
A deadly fire in Whitby, Ont. and Jimmy Kimmel's appearance at the White House Correspondents Dinner made it to Canadian trending lists on Twitter Sunday morning. Here's a rundown of some of the trending topics today.
Whitby: An early morning fire in Whitby left three people dead early Sunday morning. CTV News reports that two men and a woman in their 20s were rushed to hospital but were pronounced dead shortly after. The family's dog was rescued.
Whitby house fire claims three lives bit.ly/INrCz0-- CP24 (@CP24) April 29, 2012
Fire officials investigating after Whitby house fire claims 3 lives overnight ow.ly/aAkWo-- CTV Toronto (@CTVToronto) April 29, 2012
Derrick Rose: The Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while going for a layup near the end of Game 1 against the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday. He will miss the rest of the season.
Many fans and reporters expressed their dismay at the Bulls star's absence for the rest of the playoffs, but a Nike footwear designer caught some flak for a tweet that seemingly made light of the situation:
"Pooh," according to Yahoo Sports, is the nickname Rose's grandmother gave him when he was a young child.
Jimmy Kimmel: Comedian and late night host Kimmel hosted the White House Correspondents Dinner Saturday, and made some waves roasting political commentator Keith Olberman, former vice president Al Gore and other topics such as marijuana.
On Olberman: "I'd like everyone to look under your seats. Under each one you will find a copy of Keith Olbermann's resume."
On marijuana: "Pot smokers vote too. Sometimes a week after the election, but they vote."
U.S. President Barack Obama also had some fun on the podium. "Last year at this time, this very weekend, we finally delivered justice to one of the world's most notorious individuals," he said - as a photo of Donald Trump appeared on the monitors in the room.
But Jimmy Kimmel said "America is a place where a man is not judged by the color of his skin, but by the number of his twitter followers"-- Charlamagne Tha God (@cthagod) April 29, 2012
Jimmy Kimmel to Pres. Obama: "Stick by your guns.And if you don't have any, ask Eric Holder."-- Tim Groseclose (@Tim_Groseclose) April 29, 2012
What's trending in your world? Let us know what's buzzing where you are below.
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2013 (747)
- Barnaby Jack mourned by fellow hackers, friends, fans
- Pakistani TV show hands out babies in Ramadan ratings battle
- Weiner scandal sparks 'sexting' debate
- Russia's anti-gay laws prompt vodka, Olympics boycott
- Automated bots reserve tables at restaurants before you can
- Japanese teens sell ad space on thighs
- Is Google Chromecast the future of TV?
- Vaccine denier Jenny McCarthy pick as View host worries experts
- Pope Francis becomes cellphone celebrity in Brazil
- Jane Austen to be the new face of the £10 note
- Great Canadians Near You: Jeremy Dias
- Party hats top surveillance cameras for George Orwell's birthday
- Google recruits Street View mapping volunteers
- New Yorker recruits Bert and Ernie to celebrate same-sex marriage ruling
- '3-parent' fertility treatments sparks reader debate
- School kids correct celebrity grammar mistakes on Twitter
- Calgary's kids create adorable thank-you notes for volunteers
- Wendy Davis pink trainers sell big online
- June photo contest: How do you start your morning?
- Do you think the Queen deserves a raise?
- Generation Why says farewell for now
- 'Prancercise' founder sashays across the web
- Readers debate merits of anti-bullying video depicting suicide
- Fired Mayor Ford chief of staff laughs it up on Twitter
- Amish teens on Rumspringa rush for Facebook
- Grumpy Cat goes from meme to movie star
- CBCNews.ca readers react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Facebook to crack down on gender-based hate following outcry
- Bank of Canada cries fraud on $90K 'Duffy buck' cartoon
- Canadians react to the death of Dr. Henry Morgentaler
- Illegal wildlife trade thrives on the 'dark web'
- Stanford students seek bone marrow match for beloved professor
- Google Glass user's shower photo freaks out internet
- Canada's new polymer notes get orbital boost
- Inmates use Yelp to review prison conditions
- Canadians react to foreign worker program changes
- VOTE: April Photo Contest Finalists
- Alberta public employees, government tweet across the picket line
- Fashion-savvy seniors flaunt 'Advanced Style'
- Praise rolls in for gay NBA player Jason Collins
- Generation Why: March 29
- Prominent Canadians bid farewell to Ralph Klein on Twitter
- Ralph Klein: Share your condolences
- Vera Wang ditches $500 'try-on' fee in China following global outcry
- Live Online replay: The star power of pandas
- B.C. ad evokes Amanda Todd to warn against 'just one photo'
- 'Stop rape' dislodging 'stay safe' advice on social media
- Brands support same-sex marriage in U.S. debate
- 'Rent a Mourner' fills your funeral with fake friends
- Ogooglebar! Sweden's spat with Google inspires 'ungoogleable' fun
- REPLAY Pope Benedict resigns: What's next for the Catholic church?
- Russian 'ghost' ship has Twitter intrigued
- Beijing woman's dummy tummy stunt on Subway causes outrage
- CPC, Wildrose, CBC line up to cut ties to Flanagan
- Vote for our February photo contest winner
- Married couple sought for millionaire's Mars mission
- Boeing's bid to replace CF-18s gets CBCNews.ca readers talking
- Vatican scrubs @pontifex Twitter account
- Rosa Parks statue unveiled on Capitol Hill
- Morrissey and Jimmy Kimmel in feud over Duck Dynasty
- Opposites attract: Tell us your unlikely love story
- Youth for hire: employing 'Generation Jobless'
- Fired HMV employees take over Twitter account
- Toronto company puts your head on a Pez dispenser
- Perfume for babies released by Dolce & Gabbana
- U.S. man shot in driveway mix-up mourned online
- World reacts to new Blackberry phones, Alicia Keys hire
- Will BlackBerry 10 turn things around for the company?
- Is Volkswagen's new Super Bowl Commercial racist?
- Graphic porn invades Twitter's Vine app
- July (131)