Category: Technology & Science
It's been 10 months since the first cases of Ebola surfaced in west Africa yet few Western journalists have ventured to the stricken zones to cover this dangerous story. By mid-August we decided that reporting from afar wasn't enough. But establishing effective safety protocols and a workable coverage plan was complex - so much so, that last night was Adrienne Arsenault's first report from the region.
I was fascinated by Dan Rowe's post earlier this week on J-Source entitled "What Peter Mansbridge's CAPP speaking fee says about his news judgment". He fails to live up to the journalist ethic he himself espouses, and indeed is tasked with teaching others, when he makes baseless suggestions that CBC News is somehow ignoring the issue of climate change.
We've received a number of questions in recent weeks about Rex Murphy and his views on the oil industry. People have taken note that among his various public engagements, Rex has delivered speeches supportive of oilsands developments based on their economic benefit. And he's been critical of those opponents who, he believes, overstate the environmental dangers.
In the delicate dialogue which media conduct daily with various levels of government, reporters sometimes come away with a feeling they are being misled.It's not every day that proof of this suspicion surfaces. But that's exactly what happened in a recent story CBC reported on the testing of organic fruits and vegetables.
About the Blog
CBC News is committed to accountability and transparency. Jennifer McGuire, General Manager and Editor in Chief of CBC News and other senior leaders contribute to material in this space.
CBC News on Twitter
Jennifer McGuire on Twitter
Top News Headlines
- Canadian couple among 13 killed in Tennessee wildfires
- Canadians John and Marilyn Tegler were among the 13 people killed when wildfires tore through parts of Tennessee this week, according local officials in Gatlinburg. more »
- Joe McKnight shooting suspect released from custody
- The man who shot former NFL player Joe McKnight was released from custody overnight, authorities said Friday, saying they'll be meeting with the district attorney's office to discuss the case. more »
- Cuba's Fidel Castro, revolutionary and dictator, seen by some in Colombia as a peacemaker
- In the same week that Fidel Castro's ashes made their final journey across Cuba, Colombia's congress approved a peace deal with FARC rebels — a goal the dictator had encouraged for 20 years. more »
- 'Words that I deeply regret': Maryam Monsef apologizes for accusations against MPs
- Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef has apologized to MPs she suggested Thursday were shirking their duties on electoral reform. more »
- 2015 (7)
- June (3)
- March (2)
- January (2)