Category: Community

Holding Power to Account

Categories: Business, Canada, Community, Journalism, Politics

Tags: How We Work, Investigative

Wpg wide shot-small2.jpgMore than 320 people from 15 countries packed into a conference on investigative journalism in Winnipeg and heard a consistent message: holding powerful interests to account is essential to democracy. The opening tone was set by Peter Mansbridge who said that even in tough economic times, news organizations must continue to invest in serious reporting and investigative journalism.

Diary of a Chase Producer

Categories: Canada, Community, Journalism

Tags: How We Work

Kim Taylor Gallway-small.jpgThey call what I do "chase producing". When a story breaks, it's my job to get a guest to air to talk about it. Chasing people on the fly is an adrenaline rush that can be demanding and often times, frustrating. An eloquent guest can bring light to an important but technical story. A guest who speaks from the heart becomes an unforgettable face to a story of victory - or all too often, tragedy.

Moncton and the Media

Categories: Canada, Community, Journalism

moncton -manhunt 2-20140606 - small.jpgA tragic event like the Moncton shooting and murder of RCMP officers galvanizes the national attention and touches all human hearts. It's also a time for journalists to take great care, right from the outset.  Journalism is often, quite properly, a race to break news first. But at CBC News we believe that the families of crime victims should hear the news from family, clergy or officials, not from the media.

Winner of Aboriginal Journalism Fellowship announced

Categories: Canada, Community, Journalism, Politics

chantelle_bellrichard_headshot-small.jpgLast December, CBC News made an upgrade to the way we cover First Nations, Métis and Inuit issues when we launched CBC.ca/Aboriginal. Now, we've partnered with the Canadian Journalism Foundation for the inaugural CJF Aboriginal Journalism Fellowship. The first winner has been announced, and her name is Chantelle Bellrichard.

Speaking of Speeches...

Categories: Business, Canada, Community, Journalism, Politics

mansbridge - small.jpgI give about 20 speeches a year. They happen in different communities across the country. All in response to requests from various organizations, associations, fundraising groups, towns and cities. I enjoy doing them, and those in attendance usually say they enjoy hearing them. I wish I could do more, but my time and my primary responsibilities force me to say "no" to at least as many as I say "yes" to. 

CBC and the Aboriginal Community

Categories: Canada, Community, Politics

Aboriginal-small.pngIn our ongoing commitment to all of our communities across Canada, we have now launched a new Aboriginal Digital Unit.  This small team is re-inventing the way we cover issues relating to the Aboriginal community on our website.  The new and improved cbc.ca/aboriginal page went live this morning. 

Welcome to the 2013 CBC News Joan Donaldson Scholars

Categories: Canada, Community

2013-donaldsons-original-small.jpgThere are many well-known journalists who have left a legacy at CBC News. Some are well known to the public. Others are better recognized for their innovation and for the talent they helped nurture. Joan Donaldson's career was tragically cut short over two decades ago but her enduring impact is commemorated by the premier journalism scholarship program which is named in her memory.