In honour of Leonard Cohen's 80th birthday, and his new record Popular Problems, we challenge you to choose your favourite cover of the Cohen classic: Hallelujah
Last year, Robin Thicke had the song of the summer with the titillating Blurred Lines.This year, he's capitalizing on creepy with his new album Paula, a 14-track confessional seemingly aimed at winning back his estranged wife.
First it was children, but now it's their parents (like rockers Pearl Jam), too. Even adults can't get enough of the Oscar-winning song Let It Go from the Disney animated film Frozen. A myriad of versions have been created and shared online, from parents happily covering the Disney track, a Game of Thrones mash-up to a Lord of the Rings-inspired parody.
Whether you appreciate his over-the-top satirical take on aspects of South Korean culture, enjoy the ridiculousness of his music videos or can't cover your ears fast enough, Psy is back with another earworm racking up the online views. And this time, rap icon Snoop Dogg is along for the ride.
Sure he's a rock 'n' roll icon fronting a band that's sold more than 150 million albums worldwide, but Aerosmith's Steven Tyler can also appreciate the simple things in life -- like the musical buskers of Helsinki.
Everything old becomes new again: Poloroid cameras, 10-speed bikes, vintage t-shirts and now something called a Voice-O-Graph -- an old-timey recording booth from the 1940s in which Neil Young has recorded a nostalgic, lo-fi album of songs that inspired him.
You might call this one the Mr. and Mrs. Carter Show: hip hop and pop superstars Jay Z and Beyoncé have confirmed wide speculation they'd team up onstage for an upcoming summer tour. But wait! If it seems like these two were just in your neck of the woods recently, that could very well be true.
Just when you thought Pharrell Williams couldn't get any Happy-er, the man behind the hit song has become the face of the 2014 International Day of Happiness, joining with the UN Foundation and people worldwide sharing footage of themselves singing, dancing, playing or doing whatever makes them feel jolly.
Nearly seven months after Canadian actor Cory Monteith's death, the late Glee star's on-and-offscreen girlfriend Lea Michele has unveiled a tribute song in his honour: the upbeat, romantic track You're Mine from her forthcoming solo debut album Louder.
Poor li'l Justin Bieber: 2014 just doesn't seem to be shaping up any better than his disastrous past year, with a new "We the People" online petition at Whitehouse.gov calling for the troubled singer's ejection from the U.S. and return to Canada.
About the Blog
CBC's arts and entertainment reporters give you an insiders' view of arts and popular culture in "The Buzz". We connect readers to the hottest viral videos, music, people and trends.
About the Authors
Other The Buzz Entries
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)