In honour of Leonard Cohen's 80th birthday, and his new record Popular Problems, we challenge you to choose your favourite cover of the Cohen classic: Hallelujah
The Judge is an adult drama destined to become an Oscars also-ran, says CBC Arts critic Eli Glasner.
The first teaser trailer for the next Hunger Games movie is out and, man, is it eerie. Mockingjay - Part 1 isn't out for months, but the sinister President Snow (Donald Sutherland) is already dispatching a menacing message from the Capitol.
Whether you appreciate his over-the-top satirical take on aspects of South Korean culture, enjoy the ridiculousness of his music videos or can't cover your ears fast enough, Psy is back with another earworm racking up the online views. And this time, rap icon Snoop Dogg is along for the ride.
It used to just be a noisy snack wrapper or perhaps a fit of coughing, but faced with cellphones ringing mid-performance, tweeting theatregoers and even drunken hecklers, performers are taking a stand against stage interruptions.
Sure he's a rock 'n' roll icon fronting a band that's sold more than 150 million albums worldwide, but Aerosmith's Steven Tyler can also appreciate the simple things in life -- like the musical buskers of Helsinki.
Angelina Jolie returns to the big screen in full force as the wicked fairy in Maleficent. The effects and the costumes are impressive; if only the storytelling was as sharp as the star's cheekbones, laments Eli Glasner.
Everything old becomes new again: Poloroid cameras, 10-speed bikes, vintage t-shirts and now something called a Voice-O-Graph -- an old-timey recording booth from the 1940s in which Neil Young has recorded a nostalgic, lo-fi album of songs that inspired him.
Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When Mother Knows Best, What's a Daughter to Do? and The Dolphin Way present two very different parenting strategies, but both are also loving tributes celebrating the women who produced wise-cracking gossip maven Elaine Lui and Harvard brain Shimi Kang.
A thrilling exercise in cinematic minimalism, Locke is an example of how little it takes to make a good drama -- but it helps if you start with Tom Hardy. Exhausted by a conventional action flick and inspired by some nighttime driving footage, writer-director Steven Knight has created a gorgeous-looking film that gives his talented star the equivalent of a 90-minute drum solo, says Eli Glasner.
About the Blog
CBC's arts and entertainment reporters give you an insiders' view of arts and popular culture in "The Buzz". We connect readers to the hottest viral videos, music, people and trends.
About the Authors
Other The Buzz Entries
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)