Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
Attention comic fans: Marvel has unveiled its Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians star and Parks and Recreation favourite Chris Pratt debuted the 2:30 trailer Tuesday evening on late night's Jimmy Kimmel Live! and the interwebs have been buzzing ever since.
While rival DC's comic heroes often seem to take an uber dark and ultra serious turn onscreen (see Man of Steel and The Dark Knight franchise), Marvel is taking a decidedly different path: eye-popping visuals and boffo action seasoned with a healthy dose of self-deprecating humour and perhaps a touch of camp. It's already proven to be a potent combination in its existing Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers franchises.
With this first glimpse of Guardians of the Galaxy (directed by James Gunn and set for Aug. 1 release), comedy, space travel and a plethora of aliens feature prominently in the footage that introduces the titular, motley team of misfit superheroes. Overall, it feels way more oddball than any Avengers post-credits shawarma scene.
And lest you question how Guardians fits into the existing Marvel universe, don't miss a brief flash of Benicio Del Toro, aka The Collector.
Check out the trailer in the video above. What do you think? Comic book fans, are you excited or wary of Guardians of the Galaxy brought to the big screen?
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (16)
- March (4)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)