(Mobile users: Click here for video)
It might not be Ben Affleck-as-Dark-Knight divisive, but the casting announcement of Wonder Woman for the upcoming Batman vs. Superman is sure to raise some eyebrows.
Director Zack Snyder has announced that Israeli beauty queen-turned-actress Gal Gadot will step into the famed bustier, projectile tiara and bulletproof bracelets.
"Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favorite in the DC Universe. Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role. We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character," director Snyder said in a statement.
Miss Israel 2004 and a former Miss Universe contender, Gadot's onscreen talents are perhaps most memorable from her appearance in three of the recent Fast and Furious films, in which she played the comely and surprising former Mossad agent Gisele, a member of the fast-driving crew led by Vin Diesel's Dominic Toretto (as seen in the video above).
With her casting, Gadot rounds out the lead trio of DC's Justice League, joining Henry Cavill as Superman and the forementioned Affleck as Batman. Production is set to begin in early 2014, with an eye to a July 2015 release.
Snyder's last comment — about Gadot starring in "the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character" — is key. A rebooted Wonder Woman (props to TV's original, Lynda Carter) has been a coveted and much-debated comics-inspired role for many of today's young actresses.
What do you think of Gadot's casting as DC's Amazonian superheroine?
More entries for category: Movies
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)