Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine's selection as People's Sexiest Man Alive has rankled many. (Charles Sykes/Invision/Associated Press)
Poor Adam Levine. Sure, he snagged the frothy pop culture title of People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive this week, but reaction to the Maroon 5 frontman's win has been as prickly as his trademark stubble.
People revealed the 2013 pick on Tuesday, the first non-actor chosen in years.
"As a musician, you have fantasies that you want to win Grammys, but I didn't really think that this was on the table," Levine told the mag.
"I was just amazed and stunned and it almost seemed like they were kidding, but they weren't, so that's cool."
"Not. Even. Close." declared one online critic.
Sassy site Jezebel's NSFW takedown featured a lengthy list of questionable, cringeworthy quotes drawn from the singer's past interviews, while Slate's examination branded him "a mass-produced parody of what an "alternative" dreamboat is supposed to be."
Has populist favourite People lost its touch (and "its heat"), after having tapped recent and timely choices like Channing Tatum (fresh off Magic Mike) and Bradley Cooper (post-Hangover and pre-Silver Linings Playbook), Salon.com wondered in a thoughtful take.
Other outlets voiced a tongue-in-cheek protest simply by issuing a competing list of sexy men they felt more worthy of the mantle previously held by George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Denzel Washington.
You might hate his music, the irrepressible libido he endlessly demonstrates (and brags about) or maybe everything about him. Needless to say his many #TeamAdam fans have his back. And Levine gets at least one brownie point for showing that he's able to poke fun at himself and the frivolous People honour during a visit to Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Most importantly, he reminded us of a key point to remember amid all of this kerfuffle: "Ryan Gosling, thanks for turning this down constantly."
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)