Shia LaBeouf: phone surveillance whistleblower?
We could have learned that the U.S. was listening in on its citizens' phone calls years ago, if only we'd listened to Shia LaBeouf.U.S. President Barack Obama is currently defending sweeping secret surveillance of America's phone records and foreigners' internet usage as a way of countering terrorism. Imagine the manpower it must take to monitor, for instance, America's chattering teenage girls alone.
But Shia warned us. In 2008, he was promoting his film Eagle Eye, a movie about a mysterious stranger who listens in on phone calls. In the interview above, he tells Tonight Show host Jay Leno that the movie's FBI consultant warned him the government was doing the very same thing.
"He told me that one in five phone calls that you make are recorded and logged, and I laughed at him and then he played back a phone conversation I'd had two years prior," LaBeouf told Leno.The host's response? "Extremely creepy," and then the subject is dropped.
The fact is, we laughed too — check out the star of Transformers dishing in this light, late-night chat! It turns out he was ahead of the curve. Nobody was prepared to hear about phone surveillance then, and if a recent poll is correct, even care about it now.
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)