30 years on, Girls (still) Just Wanna Have Fun
If Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is 30, how many appearances on the chat show circuit does that amount to for Ms. True Colours?New York singer-songwriter Lauper, 59, has remained beloved over the years as a musician, actress, LGBT-rights activist and, most recently, as a Broadway creator waiting to see whether her musical Kinky Boots wins any of the 13 Tony Awards for which it's nominated.
Celebrating the song's 30th anniversary, this Girls Just Wanna Have Fun tribute is packed with Kinky Boots cast members and chat show faces like Kelly Ripa, Rosie O'Donnell, Whoopi Goldberg, Katie Couric and Kathie Lee Gifford. It's four minutes of fun and was a surprise for Lauper, who catapulted to fame in 1983 with the infectious hit penned by Robert Hazard.
She first watched the video Sunday, just before the light-hearted salute was posted to YouTube. Lauper's reaction? "It's so sweet, I'm crying."
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (16)
- March (4)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)