Fans eager to see more Jim Carrey have an usual offering to peruse today: a spoof song and accompanying video entitled Cold Dead Hand, which skewers gun lobbyists.
Posted early Monday on comedy site Funnyordie.com, the video harkens back to retro, country-flavoured variety TV show Hee Haw and features the Canadian-born comedian in character as both Charlton Heston (hence the title) and a performer named Lonesome Earl who mocks gun owners through music.
Backed by a band of impersonators (purportedly Gandhi, John Lennon and Abraham Lincoln), Lonesome Earl sings that a typical gun enthusiast makes "banditos out of molehills."
"You're a big, big man with a little, bitty gland so you need something bigger to fill your cold, dead hand," goes another line.
Most recently seen in the comedy flop The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Carrey has been outspoken about his feelings on U.S. gun legislation, most notably in posts on his Twitter account. He was among those who spoke out in favour of gun control following the Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Col., shootings.
Naturally, his video -- and the stream of teaser tweets he posted Sunday night -- are being ridiculed by the pro-gun community.
What do you think of this latest comedy bit from the rubber-faced performer best known for Dumb and Dumber, The Truman Show and Ace Ventura? Is it worthy satire or should he get off this digital soapbox?
More entries for category: Social Media
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (16)
- March (4)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)