FILM REVIEW: G.I. Joe: Retaliation
This week, Hasbro — the people responsible for the movie version of Battleship — offer filmgoers G.I. Joe: Retaliation, a sequel to the 2009 opus. Is it an action film or just a bunch of action figures? Perhaps it's a sign of cinema's coming apocalypse or the dawning of a new bromance between Magic Mike and The Rock.
So, what kind of film is this? Your mission briefing starts below.
- It's the kind of movie that opens in North Korea (Hollywood's new favourite evil empire), where Roadblock (played by man-mountain Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) cuts a hole into a chain-link fence by using high-tech thermal gloves to melt the metal — because bolt cutters are just so old-fashioned.
Channing Tatum, left, and Dwayne Johnson are fist-bumping bros in G.I. Joe: Retaliation. (Jaimie Trueblood/Paramount Pictures/Associated Press)
- It's the kind of movie where the soaring popularity of Channing Tatum required a series of re-shoots, which seem to mainly consist of fist-bumping bonding between Roadblock and Tatum's Duke
- It's the kind of movie where Roadblock quotes rapper Jay-Z in the team prayer before the Joes launch into battle, as the movie's soundtrack shreds like the wayward child of Skrillex and Good Charlotte.
- It's the kind of movie that makes one feel slightly sad for Jonathan Pryce, who appears as the villain Zartan, in disguise as the U.S. president (stay with me), but makes you yearn to see him in Brazil instead.
- It's the kind of movie where a Cobra explosives expert named Firefly uses ... fireflies. Oh, and speaks in a bourbon-soaked accent like Francis Underwood on House of Cards.
- It's the kind of movie in which Lady Jaye recounts fighting to convince her father that female soldiers deserve to be in combat situations alongside their male counterparts, while stripping down to her thong in front of colleague, Flint.
- It's the kind of movie where — amid gun battles, sword fights and the decimation of tanks, buildings and, in one spectacular case, the entire city of London — not a single drop of blood is shed (Hey, just like the cartoon!).
- It's the kind of movie where an evil president quips: "They call it waterboarding, but I never got bored."
- It's the kind of movie where you've already seen all the best Bruce Willis moments if you've seen the trailer.
- It's the kind of movie that feels like the cacophonous, fevered dream of a nine-year-old, pulled together through slap-chop editing in the style of a John Woo knock-off and featuring dialogue reminiscent of a lesser season of Entourage.
- It's the kind of movie directed by Jon M. Chu, best known for his Step Up dance films and Justin Bieber's Never Says Never. Next up for Chu: the He-Man reboot Masters of The Universe.
- It's the kind of movie where the 3D is pointless, the pace relentless and the box office impact inevitable.
Even bad movies deserve better than this.
RATING: 2 out of 5.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is the kind of film where you've already seen all the best Bruce Willis bits in the trailers. (Jaimie Trueblood/Paramount Pictures/Associated Press)
More entries for category: Movies
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)