Oscar swag the ultimate consolation prize
At this weekend's Academy Awards, even the nominees who don't win a golden statue will still get to take home an impressive consolation prize.
Gourmet maple syrup from Canadian company Rouge Maple will be inside this year's gift bags at the Oscars. (Rouge Maple)
Distinctive Assets, the Los Angeles marketing company behind the famed Oscar "swag bags," has put together an assortment of products — from water-filtration systems to all-inclusive luxury vacation packages — all totalling over $47,000 US in value.
A Canadian company called Rouge Maple made the cut this year, with $120 worth of its gourmet maple syrup products to be included in the gift bags.
Here are some of the strangest and most extravagant freebies the nominees can look forward to:
- a six-pack of Naked condoms, marketed as "the finest condoms in the world" ($20).
- Bonita Platinum tequila, bottled in pure crystal and endorsed by rapper Xzibit ($99).
- a Njoy King tobacco-less electronic cigarette, which offers the "look, feel and flavor of the real thing" ($40).
- access to Heathrow by Invitation, a private VIP service offered by London's Heathrow airport ($1,800).
- the Vampire FaceLift, a "custom designer procedure" that involves injecting fillers, stem cells and plasma into your face ($5,000).
- tickets to see Le Petit Cirque, North American's only all-kid professional-level cirque troupe ($400).
- a luxury vacation package to one of two private resorts in Australia ($12,000).
- TV host Leeza Gibbon's book, Take 2: Your Guide to Creating Happy Endings and New Beginnings ($24).
- a bottle of Windex Touch-up Cleaner ($3.99).
— by Althea Manason
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)