Why Oprah Winfrey wants to know Justin Bieber
Oprah Winfrey says Justin Bieber is a pop phenomenon like the Beatles or Elvis or Michael Jackson, but also radically different because his fandom is boosted by the impact of social media. The talk show host and now network chief is reflecting on the significance of the teen superstar in light of an episode of Oprah's Next Chapter airing Sunday in which she sits down for an in-depth talk with the Biebs.
It might be time that someone actually talks to the lad in something more than soundbites. Too many Justin Bieber quotes come from press conferences in which multiple scribes shout questions at him, to no great purpose. He may actually be the relatively wholesome and intelligent person he appears to project.
Oprah is giving nothing away ahead of Sunday's broadcast, except for a few of her questions. She'll pose doozies like "Do you feel that people are rooting for you or waiting for you to make a mistake?" and "How do you figure out who you are when you're growing up in a fan frenzy." Both vintage Oprah. And she'll push him a bit on his relationship with Selena Gomez.
But she hasn't released more than a word or two of Bieber's answers, so there's no knowing whether there's anything there to be revealed. And that's vintage Oprah, the businesswoman. Her 1993 interview with Michael Jackson went live around the world within 24 hours. And she'd like her 2012 interview with Bieber to do the same, because her OWN network is up there in the subscriber channels and not drawing the audience she dreamed of. For the first time, Discovery Networks International is carrying the show and showing it around the world and she wants to start out that relationship with something that millions of fans cannot pass up.
More entries for category: Television
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)