Casting is shaping up for CBGB the Movie, a film project that will tell the story of Hilly Kristal, the man who founded 1970s punk rock club CGGB. The latest news is that Taylor Hawkins, drummer of the Foo Fighters, will be playing Iggy Pop. Mickey Sumner of The Borgias (the daughter of rock heavyweight Sting) is to play Patti Smith. Also, Johnny Galecki will take a break from playing physicist Leonard Hofstadter on TV's The Big Bang Theory to portray Terry Ork, manager of rock band Television.
Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters has never acted before. He'll play Iggy Pop. (Associated Press)
Canadian actress Malin Akerman has landed a plum role as Debbie Harry, lead singer for Blondie. The tall, blonde Akerman, who was born in Stockholm, Sweden and moved to Canada at the age of two, drew notice in 2009 when she played the Silk Spectre II in Watchmen. She's had roles in The Proposal and Couples Retreat, but also has musical chops - she was the lead singer for the alternative rock band The Petalstones.
- Other casting already in place:
- Stana Katic (Castle) as Genya Ravan
- Joel David Moore (Bones) as Joey Ramone
- Steven Schub (24 ) as Dee Dee Ramone.
- Evan Alex Cole (She's Out of My League) as Richard Hell.
- Peter Vack (I Just Want My Pants Back) as Legs McNeil.
- Kerry Bishé (Red State) as Mary Harron.
Kristal began CBGB hoping it would be a country, bluegrass and blues club. But he had trouble booking those sorts of acts in 1970s New York. Instead he opened his doors to acts other venues had rejected and the club became a mecca for New Wave and punk music. The club closed in 2006.
Shooting on CBGB the Movie begins in Savannah, Georgia on June 25 and then moves to New York. Now, the challenge for director Randall Miller is to make all those Hollywood beauties look like punks.
More entries for category: Movies
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)