First seen in the recurring Digital Shorts segment on Saturday Night Live, the group Lonely Island (Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer) have given us some inspired pop music spoofs. Among the best are D--- in a Box (a takedown of dirty-talking R&B, featuring Justin Timberlake), Jizz in my Pants (Pet Shop Boys-style synth-pop) and I'm on a Boat (Auto Tune-flavoured rap), all of which are collected on their 2009 album, Incredibad.
It's been a while since we've heard from these poker-faced pranksters, but this past weekend, Lonely Island premiered a new track called I Just Had Sex. Featuring horndog crooner Akon on guest vocals, the song is an ode to... well, it's obvious, isn't it?
Back in February 2009, we compared LI with fellow satirists Flight of the Conchords from New Zealand, and reader consensus was that while funny, the boys in Lonely Island weren't nearly as nuanced or clever as those Kiwi komics.
I Just Had Sex only proves that point. For one thing, the chorus is numbingly repetitive. While the song has some amusing call-and-response verses ("She kept looking at her watch / Doesn't matter, I had sex / I cried the whole time / Doesn't matter, I had sex"), the lyrics are disappointingly pedestrian. Granted, that's the point - to parody the staggering obviousness of many R&B lyrics. Unfortunately, Lonely Island never transcend the material they're spoofing. It's almost funnier to listen to an Akon song.
Kudos to Jessica Alba and Gossip Girl's Blake Lively, however, for their good-natured cameos.
About the Author
Other The Buzz Entries
About the Authors
- 2014 (51)
- October (2)
- September (3)
- August (1)
- Watch the Mockingjay Trailer
- Is this the Christian Grey YOU envisioned?
- Celebrity lifestyle sites: Good or GOOP?
- FILM REVIEW: I Origins
- FILM REVIEW: Boyhood
- Goddess of Thunder? The new female Thor
- FILM REVIEW: Life Itself
- It's official: There's no shame in loving TV!
- Robin Thicke: Riding a wave of ick straight to the top of the charts?
- Eerie Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 trailer debuts
- Pearl Jam Let It Go tribute shows hit song's grown-up appeal
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield turn tables on paparazzi
- The fault in our reading habits: is it so bad that adults are fans of YA stories?
- Psy and Snoop's satirical Hangover soars online
- FILM REVIEW: Chef
- Stage interruptus: what to do when someone disrupts a live show?
- Aerosmith's Steven Tyler jams with Helsinki buskers
- May (4)
- The Simpsons exec teases upcoming death on show
- Power couple Jay Z and Beyoncé to tour together
- Deadmau5, king of Twitter beefs, takes on Arcade Fire
- Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works
- Pierce Brosnan says he 'was never good enough' at James Bond
- Game of Thrones: 7 anticipated match-ups and reunions in Season 4
- March (6)
- Oscars producers enlist celebs and pop stars to build buzz
- Gotcha! Jimmy Kimmel behind hoax Olympics wolf video
- Guardians of the Galaxy trailer unveils Marvel's misfit superhero team
- Olympic throwback: the history of art medals at the Games
- Lea Michele unveils Cory Monteith tribute song You're Mine
- Indie cyberpunk adventure game Jazzpunk debuts
- Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman
- January (5)