The two main issues behind the lockout are money and the collective bargaining agreement that expired Saturday. The league says teams are paying too much for players. The players say they want a higher salary cap to reflect the NHL's growing revenues.
The NHL says that the league "has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock" for a new CBA.
The NHLPA posted its message to fans on YouTube, a video that went viral over the weekend.
So, whose side are you on? Who's to blame for the lockout?
In our comments, some members of the CBC Community blame league commissioner Gary Bettman and the owners:
- "Someone should lockout Bettman and start the season while concurrently negotiating. This will be Bettman's third NHL work stoppage; one must question his leadership," said Mark 138.
While other commenters blame the players:
- "The greed of some/most of the players is going to be there no matter who the top dog is. Bettman isn't the most personable person around, however the really disgusting thing in this whole mess for me is the player's ridiculous and mind boggling greed," said gooley16.
But the consensus among the commenters is "a pox on both their houses."
- "Millionaire vs Billionaires. The whole damn system has lost sight of the fans. Unite and reject the hockey corporation. Lock them out of your life," said JoePublic.
- "The only people I feel bad for are the arena workers that rely on the NHL season to make ends meet. This is awful news for them. As for the owners and players - who cares? I've got the OHL and the Ottawa 67s to follow!" said JohnnyNoGood.
And EL_Padroni replied with this:
"I wholeheartedly agree! I haven't spent a penny on anything NHL related since the Coyotes debacle began back in 2010. I decided to boycott the NHL until Bettman was gone. This lockout/strike, however, has extended that boycott indefinitely.
"I have a terribly difficult time empathizing with billionaire's screaming they aren't getting a big enough slice of the pie!
"I have a difficult time empathizing with millionaire's claiming they aren't getting a fair shake and then flying over to Europe/Russia to take the food out of someone's else mouth (i.e.: See Crosby's comments...*gag*)!
"I don't have a difficult time empathizing with the arena workers, janitors, concessions stand operators, taxi cab drivers, heck...even the scalper's somewhat. You know the people who will actually feel the financial burden because of this lockout/strike.
"Shame on the owners, who are incredibly greedy and don't care for the great game!
"Shame on the players, who are incredibly out of touch with the world we live in and simply strive for ridiculous wages!"
That call to boycott games and NHL merchandise is echoed in another video posted over the weekend, The Lockout Song. Calgary ophthalmologist wrote Arun Lakra wrote new lyrics, from a frustrated NHL fan's point of view, to the tune of Jason Mraz's I'm Yours.
So, have you picked a side? Who's to blame for the lockout?
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1786)
- Occupy Wall Street protesters gather to mark 1-year anniversary
- Who is to blame for the NHL lockout?
- VIDEO: The CBC Community Weekly Webcast, Sept. 14 2012
- September Photo Contest: Black & White
- Neil Armstrong gets Twitter tribute with hashtag 'One Small Tweet'
- Would an NHL lockout affect your love of hockey?
- Ninjas keep patrons in line at London cinema
- Eyewitnesses capture Guatemala volcano eruption up close
- Should YouTube take down anti-Muslim video linked to attacks?
- Politicians, journalists remember Peter Lougheed
- VIDEO: The CBC Community Weekly Webcast, August 31
- August photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter alerts USGS to Philippines quake
- Interrupting squirrel halts U.S. Open match
- Remembering Diana 15 years later
- Reaction to the long-gun swap
- Does the skinny makeover of Disney characters go too far?
- Clint Eastwood's bizarre speech to empty chair spurs Twitter jokes
- Rare 'Blue Moon' to appear Friday : Send us your photos
- First Internet Cat Video film festival debuts at prestigious American art center
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- September (70)