Send your memorable dental stories to email@example.com (iStock)
About a quarter of all Canadians have not seen a dentist or a dental hygienist in the past year according to Statistics Canada. There are many reasons for this. For some it's the high cost of dental work that keeps them out of the chair. Nearly a third of all Canadians don't have any kind of dental insurance. For others, it's dental anxiety that keeps them from going for a checkup or getting work done on their teeth.
Let's face it: going to the dentist can sometimes be a little intense. With the sound of the drill, a bright light shining in your eyes and all that poking and prodding in your mouth, even the most routine visit can be a little frightening.
But when things go right, you can go from a person who's in a world of pain to a sane human being again -- one that smiles from ear to ear. And when things go wrong, the experience can be, quite literally, like pulling teeth.
What is your most memorable experience at the dentist? Have you ever let a dental problem fester because you couldn't afford the treatment? Maybe you have the best dentist ever? Write to us and share your story.
Coming up CBC's Marketplace will be airing a special show on Canada's dental care and dentists. And in the week leading up to that airdate, we want to share your dental experiences with Canada.
A fear of going to the dentist is something that many Canadians can relate to. Many others have been saved by the miraculous work of a talented dentist. So if you have a dental story you want to share, or get off your chest, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'd love it if you would send us a photo of your smile, too!
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1807)
- Should a U.S. soldier's deportation order be stayed?
- Should taxpayers pay the interest on MP pensions?
- U.S. 'officially denies' plans to invade Canada
- New Twitter profile headers draw Facebook comparison
- 9-year-old rapper denounces saggy jeans with 'Pull Ya Pants Up' video
- Talk like a pirate day celebrates 10th anniversary
- September Photo Contest: Black & White
- Reaction to Blue Jay's suspension for anti-gay slur
- Is marriage becoming less important to Canadians?
- Should Santa give up smoking?
- VIDEO: The CBC Community Weekly Webcast, August 31
- August photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter alerts USGS to Philippines quake
- Interrupting squirrel halts U.S. Open match
- Remembering Diana 15 years later
- Reaction to the long-gun swap
- Does the skinny makeover of Disney characters go too far?
- Clint Eastwood's bizarre speech to empty chair spurs Twitter jokes
- Rare 'Blue Moon' to appear Friday : Send us your photos
- First Internet Cat Video film festival debuts at prestigious American art center
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- September (91)