9-year-old rapper denounces saggy jeans with 'Pull Ya Pants Up' video
It's not only teachers and grandparents who take up issue with the low-slung, baggy pant styles some young men like to wear.
Nine-year-old Amor 'Lilman' Artega hates the long-running trend so much that he's written an entire song called Pull Ya Pants Up to denounce it - and if the positive response he's received for it online so far is any indication, he's not alone.
"It's disrespectful showing your butt off," said Amor, a Grade 4 student from Flatbush, Brooklyn to the New York Daily News. "I'm always seeing boys, girls, rappers, singers -- everyone is sagging out."
Barack Obama made a similar statement in 2008, saying that young men "should pull up their pants. You're walking by your mother, your grandmother, and your underwear is showing."
Amor said he was inspired to write the song with his father, Juan, after Juan scolded him for running around a playground with his jeans drooping below his hips.
The father-son duo spent most of this past summer producing a music video to go along with the song. The video, which stars Amor and features many shots of men in New York wearing saggy pants, was posted to YouTube last month.
The aspiring rapper is joined by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz in the video's intro when he says "This [is] for all the people that think sagging is cool. Juts pull just 'em up! I'm getting tired of seeing all these dirty underwear when I'm walking down the street. Pull 'em up!"
Are there any street fashion trends you'd love to see eliminated? How far would you go to get your message across?
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1804)
- New Twitter profile headers draw Facebook comparison
- 9-year-old rapper denounces saggy jeans with 'Pull Ya Pants Up' video
- Talk like a pirate day celebrates 10th anniversary
- September Photo Contest: Black & White
- Reaction to Blue Jay's suspension for anti-gay slur
- Is marriage becoming less important to Canadians?
- Should Santa give up smoking?
- NASA fans capture last shuttle flight
- Will you be buying a new smartphone soon?
- Reaction to report that police checks violate privacy
- VIDEO: The CBC Community Weekly Webcast, August 31
- August photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter alerts USGS to Philippines quake
- Interrupting squirrel halts U.S. Open match
- Remembering Diana 15 years later
- Reaction to the long-gun swap
- Does the skinny makeover of Disney characters go too far?
- Clint Eastwood's bizarre speech to empty chair spurs Twitter jokes
- Rare 'Blue Moon' to appear Friday : Send us your photos
- First Internet Cat Video film festival debuts at prestigious American art center
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- September (88)