Vietnamese airline fined after hosting bikini dance number
Vietnamese flight officials have fined an airline after it hosted some unorthodox mid-flight entertainment on Friday.
VietJetAir was fined 20 million VND (about $953 CAD) after five bikini-clad models walked out to the aisle during a flight and performed a (loosely) Hawaiian themed dance.
The airline posted a video of the performance to YouTube, which showed passengers holding up their mobile phones and cameras, taking pictures and recording movie clips of the models who were contestants in a local beauty pageant, according to Troi Tre news.
A spokesperson for Vietnam's aviation authorities said that the company was fined because it had violated regulations by organizing an unapproved show on their plane.
VietJetAir replied by saying that the plane had reached a safe altitude before starting the show, and that phones used to record the models were used in movie mode only to avoid risking flight safety (exactly how they ensured passengers did so was unclear).
The show celebrated the opening of the airline's route from Ho Chi Ming City to Nha Trang, a popular holiday location. A company statement said VietJetAir wanted to create a "holiday atmosphere" for its passengers, according to BBC News.
"It was the first flight to a beach town, so we came up with the idea of getting a number of girls in bikinis to dance and make passengers happy to improve our customer service," a VietJetAir spokesman told the Daily Mail.
The bikini show certainly ranks high on a list of unusual in-flight entertainment, but it's not the only time a sky-high performance caught the attention of otherwise sleepy or silent passengers.
In May, Toronto-based band the Lemon Bucket Orchestra broke out the brass and accordions while on a delayed flight from Frankfurt to Toronto's Pearson International Airport.
Was the bikini show on VietJetAir's flight appropriate or not? Should they have been fined? What's the most unusual form of entertainment you've experienced in the middle of a flight?
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1610)
- VIDEO: The CBC Community weekly wrap
- August photo contest: Back country BBQ
- Medallists happier to win bronze than silver, studies say
- On the Olympic track: Would you keep running on a broken leg?
- Republicans' Wikipedia pages locked after Stephen Colbert urges multiple edits
- Artists, mad scientists count down to Burning Man festival
- Reaction to internal RCMP emails as force faces changes
- Olympic athletes love Kinesio tape, but does it work?
- Should high schools stay open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.?
- Reaction to Bettman's NHL lockout deadline
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- August (58)