Tom Hanks takes 'drunk' photo with fan, delights the entire internet
He may be one of the world's most recognizable people but according to online commenters, Tom Hanks is every bit as approachable as the great-guy characters he often plays in movies.
A now-viral set of photos posted to imgur.com Sunday afternoon show the Academy award-winning actor with one seemingly intoxicated young fan at a restaurant.
Hanks is shown pointing, laughing, and putting his own glasses on the 'drunk' guy, who ends up face down in front of some pizza.
"My friend met Tom Hanks, stole his glasses and pretended to be wasted," reads the headline of a post on Reddit linking to the images, which have already been viewed more than 800,000 times.
No location or further context was given by post's author, but as entertainment blog ScreenCrush points out, Hank's Twitter feed shows that he was on vacation in Fargo, North Dakota last week.
Dozens of blogs have picked up the photos, hailing Tom Hanks as everything from "truly awesome" to "the most fun celebrity out there," and stories offered up by commenters prove that this one act of graciousness is far from a fluke.
"I met Tom Hanks about 15 years ago at Disneyland. I was waiting after getting off Thunder Mountain Railroad and he walked up and I introduced myself and just mentioned that I really liked his movies. He shook my hand and was very appreciative. Really nice guy," wrote flocker92 on Reddit.
"Confirmed he is chill. In a random small town my brother turns around and sees Tom Hanks. Brother: hey Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks: hey kid," wrote another Redditor, whose screen name is too racy to be repeated.
"I worked for his PR reps back in the day and he and Rita were all about bringing cookies to the office, being super friendly to even us plebs in the cubicles, and giving cars to their publicist at Christmas - no joke," wrote Occula on Gawker.com.
Another Gawker commenter offered up a lengthy account of the time Hanks plunged a clogged toilet at his son's college, laughing about the experience afterward.
Dozens more shared tales and (and horror stories) of their own celebrity encounters.
Have you ever met somebody very famous? Were they gracious or not so much? Share your stories in the comments below. Bonus points for a Tom Hanks tale!
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1696)
- Become a TIFF Star Spotter: Send us your photos!
- Reaction to calls for B.C. pit-bull ban
- School says deaf boy's name looks too much like gun gesture
- Vote for the August photo contest winner!
- Will.i.am premieres new song from Mars
- Would you ride a pedal-less FLIZ 'running bike?'
- Reaction to New Zealander's comments about soldier's death
- BIC 'for Her' pens bombarded with sarcastic reviews
- Searching for Franklin LIVE CHAT REPLAY with David Common
- Facebook's oldest user is 101
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- August (145)