Sports columnists have been debating whether American swimmer Michael Phelps, now the most decorated Olympian ever with 22 medals, is the greatest Olympian of all time. So, we put it to a vote among the CBC Community.
CBCNews.ca readers named Canadian cyclist and speed skater Clara Hughes the greatest Olympian. She is the only person to have won multiple Olympic medals in both the Winter and Summer Games.
Phelps placed second in our unscientific poll of the CBC Community. Here's how the Olympians ranked in our vote:
- Clara Hughes, Canada (speeder skating, cycling)
- Michael Phelps, U.S.A. (swimming)
- Jesse Owens, U.S.A. (track and field)
- Carl Lewis, U.S.A. (track and field)
- Nadia Comeneci, Romania (gymnastics)
- Paavo Nurmi, Finland (track and field)
- Larisa Latynina, U.S.S.R. (gymnastics)
- Mark Spitz, U.S.A. (swimming)
- Jim Thorpe, U.S.A. (track and field)
- Bjorn Daehlie, Norway (cross-country skiing)
- Steve Redgrave, Great Britain (rowing)
We also had two write-in candidates (in italics, above) who received a significant number of votes: Jim Thorpe, who won two gold medals for the U.S. at the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm in decathlon and the original track and field pentathlon event, and Briton Steve Redgrave won rowing gold medals in five consecutive Olympics Games from 1984 to 2000.
Thanks for taking part in our poll!
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1602)
- Reaction to Bettman's NHL lockout deadline
- The greatest Olympian of all time - The results
- Man orders TV from Amazon, receives gun instead
- REPLAY WEBCAM CHAT: Getting Olympian fit
- August photo contest: BBQ by the lake
- Vietnamese airline fined after hosting bikini dance number
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney's sour face at silver medal wins on the web
- Would you gamble using real money on Facebook?
- Reaction to the Canadian win in women's soccer
- How should countries be ranked at the Olympics? (Or should they?)
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- August (50)