Gymnasts Karen Cockburn, left, and gold medallist Rosie MacLennan, ride on the shoulders of Canadian teammates during Sunday's closing ceremony in London. (Sean Kilpatrick/CP)Canada won the same number of medals, 18, that it won in Beijing in 2008. But the distribution of those medals is quite different.
Canadian Olympians won three gold medals, nine silver and six bronze at the Beijing Games. In London, it was one gold, five silver and 12 bronze.
The last time Canada won fewer than three gold medals at a Summer Olympics was Montreal, when the host team didn't win any of the events.
By total medals, Canada placed thirteenth in the world, just shy of the Own the Podium campaign's goal of a top 12 finish. By number of gold medals, though, Canada finished 36th.
Neither of these ranking systems is entirely satisfying, though. One counts bronze and silver medals as equal to gold, while the other gives them barely any value at all.
For decades sports journalists have ranked countries by assigning points to the different medals. The Guardian has listed countries by giving three points for a gold medal, two for silver and one for bronze. On that list, Canada sits in the 19th spot.
How do you think Canada did at the London Games? Were these Olympics successful for Canadian athletes? Let us know what you think.
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' responses.)
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1614)
- Gotye's Somebodies: YouTube video mashup of hit song
- How did Canada do in London?
- Golf ball-sized hail smashes windows in Calgary
- Perseid partiers share their excitement for weekend meteor shower
- VIDEO: The CBC Community weekly wrap
- August photo contest: Back country BBQ
- Medallists happier to win bronze than silver, studies say
- On the Olympic track: Would you keep running on a broken leg?
- Republicans' Wikipedia pages locked after Stephen Colbert urges multiple edits
- Artists, mad scientists count down to Burning Man festival
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- August (62)