August photo contest: Paus Chocolat
We'll be updating this gallery throughout the month with each day's photo pick. You'll be able to check out all this month's submissions at once!
"Paus Chocolat" was taken in Quebec City by Gail Concrete and comes to us via Instagram. We're not entirely certain what Gail has wrapped her chocolate in, but it looks entirely delicious and the photo itself is lovely.
Thanks for sharing, Gail!
Today's photo contest pick comes to the CBC Your News Community photo pool from Stephanie Marshall Lozon. "We had some Lobsters and Mussels from PEI on our Deck one beautiful summer evening...LIFE is GOOD."
This photo? Also good. Very good. As in food blogger good! Thanks for sharing, Stephanie - we're impressed by both your cooking and your photo framing skills.
"C'est encore l'été" writes Flavio Chan in the caption of this photo, sent to us from Mont-Royal QC through Instagram.
August may be drawing to an end, but there's still plenty of summer still left to enjoy! Go out and grab yourself a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone while the trucks are out like Flavio's done -- and if you're so inclined to send us a photo, you could be featured in the CBC Community Photo contest too!
Today's photo contest pick comes to us through Instagram from Jeremy Reay of Edmonton, AB.
Friends, food, fabulous weather -- looks like the perfect summer evening to us!
We chose this photo based on the spirit it conveys, the dreamy filtered lighting and the nice mix of colour found in the subjects' clothes.
Thanks for sharing Jeremy! Remember, if you'd like to submit a photo to the CBC News August photo contest through Instagram, hashtag it with #CBCAugustPhotoContest.
"The Salmon run is in full swing here on the Fraser River in sunny Lillooet, BC," writes CBC Community member Jan Wilson. "Who wouldn't love to have some of this freshly dried Sockeye Salmon at their next BBQ?"
We do hope this salmon was enjoyed BBQ and not snatched from the line by some hungry bears (or photo contest administrators... *cough*)
This is a gorgeous image, Jan. A great example of how our outdoor space really adds to the flavour of Canadian food!
What would baby's birthday party be without the requisite cake smash?
Laura Meyer of Surrey, BC sent us this photo of one very young Canadian enjoying a little bit of sweet stomping outside.
"This was a photo session done with Kingston to celebrate his first birthday!" wrote Laura in the caption.
We love the blend of colours, neat lighting and, of course, those adorable little feet. Great shot!
"My family and our friends rented a cottage in Souris P.E.I. for the first week of August," writes Leah Merulla in her submission for today's August photo contest pick. "My birthday was Aug. 2nd and my husband found a fish market not too far from the cottage and bought around 20 oysters for my birthday dinner! We did not have a shucker so he went back to the fish market and they lent him one! Our friends did not really like oysters so my husband and I ended up eating most of them - actually just me! It was a great meal with lobster coming next!"
We chose this photo based on the colours, clarity and how nicely the oysters were framed. That said, the way this made our mouths water did impact the decision a bit :)
Happy belated, Leah!
Today's photo contest pick was taken by CBC Community member Marie Luppens on day 6 of a hike along the Nooka Island Trail in BC.
"Cooking a dehydrated meal while the tent is pitched inside a cave. Life is good," she wrote in the caption.
We absolutely love the composition of this shot with its perfect balance of rock, sky, water and sand. Most of all, we love the expressions on the faces of these two women, who are likely exhausted but still in great spirits after a long day of hoofing it through the Canadian wilderness.
Thanks for sharing, Marie!
This beautiful photo of jelly in the sun comes to us from Debbie Allen in Cranbrook, BC.
"I made this jelly using the Nanking cherries that I picked from the bush in the foreground," she writes. "Not only did this bush provide us with a dazzling blossom display in the spring, it produced an abundance of cherries in August. The jelly is as clear as it should be according to my Mom and I can enjoy a sweet taste of summer in the dead of a Canadian winter"
Hey Debbie, if you need somewhere to send any of that jelly, you know where to find us :)
"Alfresco dining...a hot summer day...a fabulous pasta dish...and some family members. What's not to like?" writes Ric Hornsby of Manitoba in this submission for our August photo contest. "Two of our local crows enjoy a little snack. Yes, they really did enjoy it! The crow on the left joined the family this year. The crow on the right is an auntie who has been tasked with looking after the younger one. They get along, mostly..."
We enjoy this photo just as much as the crows are enjoying that pasta, we reckon. Thanks for sending it in, Ric!
Today's photo of a lovely tray of green veggies comes to us from Anne Waters of Ottawa. There are radishes, green beans, carrots, onions, bok choy and even what looks like an eggplant tucked into a sturdy wooden tray.
We love the way the produce is arranged, with spots of colour from the radishes and carrots popping out of the lush green veggies. Time for a stir fry! Or maybe a salad. Thanks for the green submission, Anne!
We're turning back the clock from yesterday's photo pick of juicy cooked steak kebabs with a shot from Ian Berard. His picture "Back country BBQ" shows several slabs of meat just after being thrown on a makeshift grill.
The New York strip steaks were placed "over a bed of hot coals using what was available on the river," he writes.
We can hear the crackling of the coals and the smell of the smoke casting its spell on the steaks already - and now we're desparately hungry for dinner. Thanks for the submission!
Today's photo pick was sent to us by Kevin Tetz of Saskatchewan. Titled "BBQ by the lake," several beautifully cooked skewers sit just waiting to be enjoyed outside.
"Mmmmm...BBQ steak kabobs on a open fire," writes Kevin. We couldn't agree more. The kebabs look delicious, and they're nicely plated to boot!
Thanks for the tasty submission!
Today's photo comes from Linda Leverman-Fike of Courtenay, B.C. Titled "A toast to the sunset," it frames a glass of red wine with a hazy sunset at Quadra Island, B.C.
"This was our first time at Quadra Island," writes Linda. "We sat in our lawn chairs, watching the boats go by and the sun go down. The orange glow of the sun shimmered as a reflection in the wine glass. The sounds of the ocean, peacefulness of the small campground and beautiful weather made for a weekend to remember. Cheers!"
Thanks for setting the scene, Linda! We'll be sure to toast the next sunset we enjoy out by the water in a similar manner. Responsibly, of course.
Today's photo comes from Alan Wainwright of Ottawa. Titled "Fresh from the Farmers Market," it features a bundle of white turnips enjoying the sunlight.
The turnips are just part of "a basket full of fresh produce from one of Ottawa's many Farmers Markets," writes Alan. "All set to make a fresh great tasting locally grown salad on a warm summer afternoon."
We love how bright and vivid the image is as a whole, with the red bench making a perfect background to the leafy vegetables. Thanks for the shot!
Today's photo of the day was uploaded by Valerie Moscato of Montreal, who gave us a new perspective on an old favourite with her submission "Nonna's pasta."
(Nonna is the Italian word for grandma.)
"I took this photo while visiting an Italian woman's breathtaking house in the rich landscape of Pontessieve, Tuscany," wrote Valerie, who travelled to Italy to take a language course in Florence.
"We learned a lot more than Italian on this trip," she added, "she taught us how to create a delicious, traditional Italian dinner!"
Valerie and her friends made made this fresh pasta right on their teacher's patio, while staring out at an incredible view.
We love the angle on this photo, which makes it look like the Tuscan landscape is covered in delicious strands of pasta. Now all we need is a ticket to Italy and a giant fork!
Just in time for the long weekend comes today's photo contest pick: a perfectly roasted hot dog next to a bonfire at the beach.
Maija Shelley took this mouth-watering photo in Napanee, Ontario.
"Hot diggity, dog ziggity boom!" she wrote. "Weenies roasted at the beach. Mustard! Does life get any better?!"
No argument here. Bon apetit!
Our first pick of the day for the August photo contest comes from Stephanie Marshall Lozon. She titled this fabulous shot Georgian Bay Dining on the Water.
"My husband and I like to tour around with our wine and cheese, on the beautiful Georgian Bay water near Owen Sound, Ont.," she writes. "Here we are on White Cloud Island. With the snacks that we packed for lunch. We got there via Sea-Doo!"
We absolutely love the composition of this photo. The arrangement of the cheeses, bread, wine glasses and even the knife at the centre tell a story of their own. A charming scene and a fantastic start to the monthly photo contest. Thanks for the submission!
How to enter
Upload your images using the form below, or visit our CBC Your News Community page to upload them directly to the "August photo contest" category. If you haven't joined, it's easy to do so. And if you are a member, well, you already know what to do.
The contest winner will receive a prize courtesy of the CBC Shop.
New Instagram option!
If you want to submit one of your Instagram photos, please hashtag your submission #CBCAugustPhotoContest
If all else fails, you can also submit images to email@example.com.
Please note: Only Canadian residents will be eligible for the final prize. The contest rules are available here.
Tags: Photo Contest
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1683)
- Have stunt weddings gone over the top?
- August photo contest: Paus Chocolat
- Tom Hanks takes 'drunk' photo with fan, delights the entire internet
- Reaction as Hurricane Isaac affects first day of Republican convention
- Should provincial health insurance cover circumcision?
- Would you use Skype for a doctor's appointment?
- Reaction to high food prices in the North
- Searching for Franklin LIVE CHAT with David Common
- VIDEO: The CBC Community Weekly Webcast, August 24
- Reaction to Prince Harry's nude photos
- July photo contest: the winner!
- Twitter apologizes for @GuyAdams 'mess-up'
- Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists
- Internet pranksters send rapper Pitbull to Alaska
- Would you make realtors compete for your property listing?
- Reaction to report on smartphone overtime
- What do you think of Ye Shiwen's record swim?
- CBC's Eli Glasner on reviewing films, reading other critics
- Teen arrested for 'malicious' tweets to British diver
- Do you support Christy Clark's stance on the national energy strategy?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- August (132)