Don Pitcairn, president of Surrey's United Naturists, said the signs to at least one popular spot, the Crescent Rock Beach in Surrey B.C., have been painted over.
That location had become "the de facto Wreck Beach for the Fraser Valley," he noted.
"When it comes to nude beaches, there's a lot of politics involved," Pitcairn told the Vancouver
"There are a few people adamantly opposed to anything going on there, regardless of how isolated or how far you have to go to get there."
Advocates stress that nude is not synonymous with lewd, and is mostly non-sexual.
Gawking, insulting or photographing others is seen as a breach of nude etiquette.
"The idea is to let people sample what it's like to get out of their clothes in public and experience the sun as nature intended," said Judy Williams, spokeswoman for the Federation of Canadian Naturists.
Hanlan's Point in Toronto, like Wreck Beach, is another clothing-optional beach with official sanction, but many popular spots are unauthorized.
Some bold bathers congregate in the most remote area of Nova Scotia's Crystal Crescent Beach or on part of the shores by Québec's Oka Park.
Have you ever been to a clothing-optional beach? If so, have you shed all your layers?
(This survey is not scientific. Results are based on readers' replies.)
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1498)
- Dancing Australian hurdler captivates the web
- Pigeon pests would be better as pies, former councillor says
- July photo contest: Rock Art
- Real estate ad offers 'explosive' deal next to Barrie bomb house
- Reaction to Denver theatre shooting
- Would you wear a giant animal tail in the name of fashion?
- Lost and found cat sparks feud between owners
- Denver shooting victim's final moments on Twitter
- Eyewitness accounts of Denver theatre shooting
- Should Canada have more official clothing-optional beaches?
- iPhone's 5th birthday prompts loving tributes
- Show us your colours through photos of gay pride
- PETA slams Olsen twins as 'Hairy Kate' and 'Trashley'
- June in Tune photo contest: The winner!
- Should we learn to love the unibrow?
- Is the loonie as important a symbol of Canada as the maple leaf?
- CBC readers dish on 'Canadian food' and Maple Syrup
- Are you financially prepared to live past 100?
- Should alcohol flow freely across Canada?
- Will you wait for BlackBerry 10?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- July (111)