Canadians Tweet for the Queen
This weekend, the celebration of Queen Elizabeth's 60-year-reign will reach its peak as Her Royal Highness hosts a series of Diamond Jubilee pageants, lunches, concerts, events and more.
"Central Weekend," as the British Monarchy calls it, is bringing royals to the forefront of news coverage around the world right now, and while not everybody can travel to Buckingham Palace for the occasion the web has made it easier than ever to participate from afar.
We've asked asked our Twitter followers to send us their own, personal messages for Queen Elizabeth in 140 characters or less. The responses we got were passionate, entertaining and wildly diverse.
Plenty of Canadians sent their best wishes to the Queen...
Others weren't quite as thrilled to celebrate, criticizing the monarchy and calling for an end to Elizabeth's reign.
Some used the hashtag to make requests and ask questions of her royal highness
And many made jokes:
We have a hunch that Isabel was being facetious when she tweeted about getting a Queen Elizabeth II tattoo, but our research shows that stranger things have happened!
Thank you to everybody who sent in a Tweet for the Queen. Join the discussion yourself by using the #TweetsForTheQueen hashtag on Twitter, or by leaving a comment on this post.
You can also take a look through our interactive gallery of Royal encounters, submitted by members of the CBC Your News community. The photos and stories are incredible!
CBC is offering extensive coverage of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations as she marks 60 years on the British throne this weekend. View our Royal Jubilee coverage schedule here.
More entries for category: Community
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1225)
- Would you move to Mars permanently?
- Are jogging robots and diet goggles the future of weight loss?
- Should Facebook open the doors to preteens?
- June photo contest: Dancers in Taiwan
- Russian crooner Eduard 'Mr. Trololo' Khil remembered online
- Do website protests like Black Out, Speak Out have any effect?
- Canadians Tweet for the Queen
- June photo contest: In Tune
- National Doughnut Day only in America? Pity
- May flowers photo contest: The winner!
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (13)