Suit of armour hoodie crashes Etsy shop
When Chadwick J. Dillon posted his homemade suit-of-armour hoodie online, he was looking to make a few sales - not to take a battle axe to the very shop he posted it to!
"Joust, battle Saxons, high five a SunBro, or just rock around town in this modern plate armour," Dillon wrote in a listing for the item on the online marketplace Etsy. "The Grey Knight has proven valour and his cause is just. Wear this armour and show your quality."
(Chadwick J. Dillion / Etsy.com / Tumblr.com)
Within hours of being posted to Tumblr, photos of the garment went viral online. Readers went wild, blogging, tweeting, reposting and rushing to purchase one for themselves.
The hoodie, which Gawker describes as a "hipster knight's dream come true," was so overwhelmingly popular, however that Dillion has had to suspend his Etsy shop until further notice.
"Due to the overwhelming response to the Grey Knight Armored Hoodie, I have had to temporarily suspend my shop until I sort out my communication errors," the Flint, Mich., native wrote. "Evidently, when several hundred people message you within a few hours, Etsy will cut off the seller's conversations. Please bear with me as I work out these problems."
In the meantime, demand suggests Dillion could find himself with at the centre of a bidding war for the limited-edition item.
Grey Knight Armored Hoodie etsy.com/transaction/84... shut up and take my soul!!!-- No soy comunista (@LeninAnduin) June 12, 2012
I need this Etsy shop to re-open ASAP gawker.com/5917829/this-h...-- Keara (@ikeara) June 12, 2012
"Looks like something Theon Greyjoy of Williamsburg would wear." gawker.com/5917829/this-h...-- Joe Muto (@JoeMuto) June 12, 2012
A hoodie that looks like a suit of armor? GOD I need this, right along with the Drive jacket I'm getting: laughingsquid.com/suit-of-armor-...-- Jake Baldino (@JakeBaldino) June 12, 2012
I'm fairly certain I need this.NEED: thisiswhyimbroke.com/armored-knight...-- Tara J. Brannigan (@kindofstrange) June 12, 2012
(Chadwick J. Dillion / Etsy.com / Tumblr.com)
Would you wear the suit of armour hoodie? Why or why not? If so, how much would you pay for it?
Poll: How much would you pay for a limited-edition suit of armour hoodie?
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1277)
- Are you happy as an early bird, or night owl?
- Suit of armour hoodie crashes Etsy shop
- Pyjamas in public okay by Aussies, expert says
- June photo contest: Sound of Freedom
- What do you think when you see '.biz'?
- Should calorie counts be on the menu?
- Man used wasabi to attack girlfriend, police say
- Reaction to fake Chinese military parts
- Which video game would you play in real life?
- Does hospital noise bother you?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (66)