Bibi and Poldi hiss at one another in a photo dated Autumn 2011. (Klagenfurt Zoo)
In what may have been the world's slowest split, two tortoises at an Austrian zoo have apparently ended their roughly 115-year relationship.
Bibi and Poldi, two Giant Tortoises at the Klagenfurt zoo, have been inseparable since their youth - but lately, the two just can't seem to play nice.
"We get the feeling they can't stand the sight of each other anymore," Zoo Director Helga Happ told the Austrian Times, adding that the trouble began when the pair took to pestering one another.
Bibi eventually snapped off a piece of Poldi's shell with her powerful jaw, and when her aggressive behaviour continued, perplexed zookeepers separated the couple.
The tortoises, who came to Austria from the Basel zoo in Switzerland 36 years ago, have so far resisted the zookeepers' efforts to patch up their relationship with fun activities and special food.
Local news stations have "interviewed" the tortoises, but they won't come out of their shell. (Klagenfurt Zoo"We have staff talking to and trying to engage the two in interacting, and we hope that they might find their harmony again," added Happ.
But so far their efforts have been fruitless. Bibi seems interested in having a cage to herself, and the staff can't figure out where things went wrong.
The staff does note on the zoo's website that the two have never mated, although Poldi has made several attempts.
"We were told that it's very rare that after so many years animals who are a pair will fall apart, but that's where we are." said Happ
If Bibi and Poldi were human, what advice would you give them?
Speaking of humans: have you ever had a falling out with a long-time partner or old friend? Did you ever restore the relationship? Tell us your story.
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1304)
- Reaction to the striking down of Canada's assisted suicide law
- Is there a broken relationship you wish you could restore?
- Justin Bieber busks on hometown theatre steps
- Paul McCartney, they say it's your 70th birthday
- Should Canada contribute to a European bailout?
- Is Coca Cola's surveillance ad sweet or a stretch?
- June photo contest: June flutters by
- Community reaction to University of Alberta shooting
- Should Canadians have the legal right to assisted suicide?
- Is the War of 1812 tribute's $28M money well spent?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (93)