County Fair seeks extraterrestrial visitors
Organizers of the 2012 San Diego County Fair hope to find out soon.
Their brand new Out of This World theme exhibit explores all things outer space and science fiction, from the educational aspects of space exploration to a simulated alien crash site.
"It would be so cool if some aliens decided to come," said San Diego County Fair spokeswoman Linda Zweig to the Huffington Post. "I don't know if their [space] craft would fit in the parking lot, but if they show up, we'll make room. There's plenty of room in the infield."
"This may be the first UFO-themed fair ever," UFO researcher Mel Podell of the San Diego chapter of the Mutual UFO Network told the Huffington Post. He also noted that San Diego is already a hotbed for UFO activity, "especially in summer... that's when people get outside to enjoy themselves and see these things."
Last year, The San Diego County Fair attracted a record-breaking 1,412,113 million visitors to Del Mar, California and Zweig predicts that this year's alien-themed fair will break attendance records once again.
The fair will run until July 4th. Do you think any extraterrestrial creatures will show up, or that sightings of this kind are even possible?
Let us know your thoughts below.
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1273)
- June photo contest: Sound of Freedom
- What do you think when you see '.biz'?
- Man used wasabi to attack girlfriend, police say
- Reaction to fake Chinese military parts
- Which video game would you play in real life?
- Does hospital noise bother you?
- Online cartoonist fights legal threat with money for bears
- Star Trek engagement ring takes geek love to the final frontier
- Microsoft patents emotion-based advertising system
- Last Moment Robot will guide you through to your death
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (62)