A deadly robbery left three guards dead and another wounded early Friday morning at the University of Alberta. (CBC)
An armoured-car robbery that left three security guards dead at the University of Alberta has provoked a strong reaction among the CBC News readers across the country.
While Edmonton police scour the university's HUB Mall and hunt for one or more suspects, and one survivor clings to live, Canadians are trying to make sense of the attack.
- "What breaks in people that they can bring themselves to kill innocent human beings? There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for. My sincere condolences and sympathies to the families and friends of the deceased." - Allworld
- "Truly a tragic waste of life. Great disparity begets even greater despair." - WinterE
- "Sometimes you wake up and read these headlines and feel like going back to bed and pulling the covers over your head and hiding from the craziness in this world. My heart aches for the families." - Ilikefish
- "They got up and went to work for just another day, just like you and me. Things like this are so heartbreaking. To think that someone killed these people and denied their families of them forever, over money. I can't even imagine the kind of person it takes to do that." - BradNB
- "As a student at the UofA I am praying for the families of the guards that died in the line of duty and for the surviving guard that is in the hospital. And for my fellow students. We will heal from this and we will become stronger community." - NWT_NORTHERNER
- "I work for Paladin Security. My heart goes out to the families of those killed and my prayers are with [the surviving victim] for a speedy and full recovery." - DanHarcus23
- "I remember an armoured-car guard getting shot at the Agincourt Mall in Scarborough, back in the mid 70s. I was in the mall at the time with my mother and brother . . . my condolences to the families of the victims. I hope justice is swift and severe." - Cleveland Brown
- "My heart is breaking for family and friends of the deceased. Such a tragic story. My daughter just quit the armoured car gig a couple months ago - I was glad, an image like this UofA occurrence flashed through my head all the time." - MJR2012
- "I lived in HUB Mall for three years, and remember regularly the security truck coming to restock the bank machines at night. I walked by this location 10 p.m. last night ... Those who did this will never receive the punishment that they deserve, or the damage they have done to the family of the victims, this location and community forever." - sweptaway123
Canadians outside Edmonton sent their condolences to those affected, as the story reached beyond Alberta's borders.
- "Our hearts are with you guys in Alberta. This is sad news." - thetreble84
- "Just horrific news... Please, no politics today. Just thoughts and prayers for those who lost loved ones in Alberta last night. You'll be on my mind today." - Jbnova
- "My condolences to the families of the men that were killed. Sympathies for the UofA students and especially to the fellow workers of the victims at G4S Security. Prayers for the guard in critical condition." - casskar
- "My deepest sympathies to the families of those killed and injured. This should never happen and especially not in Canada ... Horrific day for my country." - SAHMWriter
Thank you, as always, for following our coverage. Please feel free to continue the thread below.
Meet the Community Team
CBC News Community team, from left to right: Andrew Yates, Andrea Lee-Greenberg, Lauren O'Neil, John Bowman
If you're part of the CBC News community, you're likely to meet one of us: we're the folks working to produce and promote your stories. Read more about us.
Other Your Community Entries
- 2012 (1308)
- Adidas 'Shackle' sneakers kick up controversy
- Community reaction to ethics committee motion against Del Mastro
- June photo contest: the crackling fire
- Does high-tech eavesdropping take airport security too far?
- Which internet browser do you use?
- Reaction to the striking down of Canada's assisted suicide law
- Is there a broken relationship you wish you could restore?
- Justin Bieber busks on hometown theatre steps
- Paul McCartney, they say it's your 70th birthday
- Should Canada contribute to a European bailout?
- Do you avoid disturbing news coverage?
- Would you grow your own shoes from 'genetically manipulated stingrays'?
- Dozens of Justin Bieber fans injured in Norway
- I [Heart] NY logo revamp? Fuggedaboutit!
- Musical grill blasts beats through your teeth
- Reaction to Canada's 'unique strain of Dutch Disease'
- New York sugary drink ban bubbles over on Twitter
- Mountain Dew + Orange Juice = Taco Bell's new breakfast drink
- Dr. Ruth to launch low-alcohol line of wines
- Reaction to census data on seniors and toddlers
- Should government seek clemency for Canadians on death row?
- Ugly Meter app worries cyber bullying activists
- And the winner of our April showers photo contest is...
- What would you add to Avery Canahuati's bucket list?
- Who is Titanic II backer Clive Palmer?
- Trending April 30: Titanic II, Conrad Black
- Should Conrad Black regain his Canadian citizenship?
- CBC's David McKie on investigative reporting
- Should rooftop missiles be installed for London Olympics security?
- Obama and Kimmel high-five at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- March photo contest: the winner!
- Shatner-hosted 2012 Juno Awards inspire fanfare
- 10 readers share their Katimavik stories
- Katimavik defended 26 years after Hébert hunger strike
- Earth Hour, Mega Millions, angry 'Beliebers' in morning trends
- Maple syrup hoarders prepare for shortage
- Top 5 at 5: CBC North
- Would bigger tax exemptions encourage you to shop across the border?
- What were your happiest years?
- Should charities lose their status for protesting?
- Community reaction to the Pierre Poutine revelations
- Top 5 at 5: Business stories
- Lady Gaga and Oprah Winfrey launch anti-bullying foundation
- Davy Jones honoured by fans on social media
- February photo contest: the winner!
- Women take the leap and propose marriage on Feb. 29
- Community reaction to closing of high Arctic lab
- Would you freeze-dry a deceased pet?
- U.S. storm watchers swap stories on social media
- Should Canada create an asbestos registry?
- January photo contest: the winner
- Top 5 at 5: Montreal stories
- Should Peru's uncontacted tribes be left alone?
- Is Ashton Kutcher right to block journalists from his Twitter feed?
- Would you wear Dress Pant Sweatpants in your workplace?
- Where do you donate your used clothing?
- Could a UN resolution help end Syria's unrest?
- Top 5 at 5: Politics stories
- Do you trust a camel that predicts Super Bowl winners?
- Community reaction to the Shafia trial verdict
- June (97)